PDA

View Full Version : Using BB's slideshow to cull a large shoot

Nill Toulme
May 13th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Somebody on another forum asked me for the specifics on how I use BreezeBrowser's slideshow to quickly and efficiently cull a large shoot with the benefit of sharpened, full-screen views of each image. I only learned how to to this myself in the past year, and it's been an *enormous* help to me, especially as my shoots seem to be getting larger rather than smaller.

Like most of these things, it's harder to say than to do:

1. Select all images you want to view in the target folder. I use ctrl-A to select all.

2. Hit ctrl-S to start the slideshow. Having done that, hitting left- or right-arrow will give you control over selection of the shot, instead of the slideshow progressing automatically per the set interval. Note also that once the slideshow is running you have a right-click popup menu with lots of options available.

3. Hit ctrl-Q to turn on high quality sharpening. This is critical because it gives you a good idea of what the converted image will look like with some decent sharpening applied.

4. Hit ctrl-C to turn on the caption. Note that settings like sharpening and caption are sticky, so you shouldn't have to set these next time.

5. Now just scroll through your images by hitting the right-arrow key, or left if you want to back up. Tag them using up-arrow, untag using down-arrow. I like to tag the non-keepers, but some people do it the other way around. Especially on the first run-thru, I find it easier to spot a trasher than a definite keeper, so it works better for me to select the former.

6. After a run-thru, hit escape to exit the slideshow to thumbs view.

7. Hit F6 to select only the tagged images.

8. If you've tagged your trashers, you're ready to delete them. Just hit Delete (or shift-Delete if you're bold) and they're gone. If you've tagged your keepers, hit ctrl-eye to invert your selection, and again you're ready to hit Delete.

9. At this point you're either done, or ready for another run-thru to winnow down the keepers further. On a really big shoot I might go thru three or even four times, getting more selective each time.

Again, this might sound moderately complicated, but it's really extremely simple, quick and intuitive.

As a refinement, the latest version of BB Pro of course offers image ranking 1-5. You can use this tool instead of tagging in the slideshow selection process if you want to get more granular in your approach.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

CameraShooter
May 13th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Guess someone has asked why the ranking doesn't appear in the slideshow, like the checkmark does to indicate tagging?

CameraShooter
May 13th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks very much!

Dan_Honemann
May 14th, 2005, 01:29 AM
2. Hit ctrl-S to start the slideshow. Having done that, hitting left- or right-arrow will give you control over selection of the shot, instead of the slideshow progressing automatically per the set interval. Note also that once the slideshow is running you have a right-click popup menu with lots of options available.

Alternatively, simply hit Ctrl-S twice: once to start the slide show, and a second time to keep it from automatically advancing.

Dan

Keith Curtis
May 16th, 2005, 06:18 AM
I also find the slideshow mode in Breeze the best way of culling images with a slightly different approach. I tag all of the images first then when I enter the slideshow mode I hit the Ctrl/T to hide untagged images so that when I untag the rejects they drop from view. Very useful when you have six shots of the same pose and the best two are the first and last shot, after dropping out from view all of the middle ones they become side by side in the slideshow for easy comparison.

When finished and back in thumbnail view it is F6 to select all tagged and Ctrl;/I to invert select then either delete of move them to my rejects folder (just in case!)

Keith