PDA

View Full Version : What's new in DSLR Remote Pro v2.5

Chris Breeze
October 25th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I've just released DSLR Remote Pro for Windows v2.5 which adds support for the Canon EOS-1D X and includes the following enhancements for photo booth shooting:

Movies can now be used to animate the photo booth screens. The movie file needs to be in QuickTime format and to be placed in the photobooth images folder with the same name as the screen when it should be displayed e.g. to play a movie when the ready.jpg screen is displayed the movie file should be named ready.mov. The movie will automatically loop and restart when it reaches the end. You can also use a movie file for the photobooth countdown by naming it 1.mov, 2.mov, 3.mov etc. When a movie is used for the countdown it replaces the countdown text and the picture is taken when the movie finishes playing. There is a sample countdown movie called countdown.mov in the PhotoboothImages installation folder. To try this simply copy it to your photobooth images folder and rename it to 1.mov.
The movie will be resized to fit the screen unless live view is being displayed in which case it will be resized to fit under the live view (it looks horrible if you try to overlap live view and movies).
Post processing options in photo booth mode for easier website and social networking site uploads.There is a new "Settings..." button to right of the "Output:" dropdown list for setting this (and for setting the print preview options). The post processing options allow you to copy the JPEG copy of the printed output to another folder which could be a hot folder used to automatically upload photos to Facebook using Dropbox and WappWolf or IFTTT (please see the help file for details).
A typical print layout is a double strip of 4 photos which isn't particularly suitable for posting on a website. The post processing options allow you to crop this to give a single strip of 4 photos and then to resize it to a size more suitable for uploading to Facebook or a website. You may find Hotfolder Prints useful if you need more control over the layout.
New options for reprinting photos after an event. If the original photos were taken with the "Print and save JPEG copy" option you can reprint one or more of these by selecting File->Print Selected Photobooth Photos... If you don't have JPEG copies of the print layouts or wish to reprint the photos using a different layout you can drag and drop sets of photos (e.g. 4 at a time) into the main DSLR Remote Pro window and select File->Reprint Photos to reprint them using the current layout settings.
Reduced print procesing time. The default resizing method used when preparing photos for printing has been changed to so that it is faster with little reduction in image quality. This should reduce the time it takes to process the images by up to 30%. There is a registry setting to turn off this option if you prefer to use the higher quality, but slower method.

LorneChesal
October 26th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Will these new features find their into your other products?

Webcam PB in particular.

Chris Breeze
October 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm planning to add the reprint, post processing and reduced print processing times to the next releases of Webcam Photobooth, NKRemote and PSRemote.
Adding the animated screens is a lot more work and I want to get some feedback from DSLR Remote Pro users before adding it to the photobooth apps.

LorneChesal
October 26th, 2012, 07:39 PM
thanks Chris.

jayredliner
November 9th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Thanks for your continued innovation Chris. I often find that I use most, if not all, of your updates almost immediately after their released.

Cheers!

rpvincent
November 10th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I've had some fun playing with the movies in the user interface and I think this will be a great feature once it's all dialed in.

Currently, there's some instances where going to/from standby or camera disconnected mode will cause the movie file to play on top (overlay) of the live preview instead of directly below it. There's also an issue where the countdown for the first picture is 0 if you are using a ready.mov file. finally, being able to set whether or not a video loops (perhaps by a suffix of the file name) would be helpful.

Custom positioning on the screen just like the live preview and countdown would be nice too.

thanks!

Chris Breeze
November 12th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I've had some fun playing with the movies in the user interface and I think this will be a great feature once it's all dialed in.

Currently, there's some instances where going to/from standby or camera disconnected mode will cause the movie file to play on top (overlay) of the live preview instead of directly below it. There's also an issue where the countdown for the first picture is 0 if you are using a ready.mov file. finally, being able to set whether or not a video loops (perhaps by a suffix of the file name) would be helpful.

Custom positioning on the screen just like the live preview and countdown would be nice too.

thanks!
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the various issues you mentioned.

Custom positioning will be difficult because you would need different settings for screens with live view active and those with no live view.