PDA

View Full Version : reprints in 2.5

apples
November 26th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Hi Chris:-

Someone has posted this query on PBT, but they are not members here, so wanted me to post it for them, they are using 2.5 :-

'Every since I updated to the new version I find that each time I do a re-print, the program also generates a new .jpg in the print folder with a suffix ( *_1, *_2, etc.). Has anyone else noticed this and perhaps found the setting to turn it off? It's useless and just means I have to go through afterwards and delete the doubles.'

Chris Breeze
November 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM
The latest version allows you to specify the filename for the JPEG copy of the output which means that different sets of photos could end up with the same filename. So, to avoid overwriting JPEGs from previous sessions the software appends a number to the filename to ensure it is unique. This wasn't necessary in previous releases because the filename was hard wired to the date and time and there was no danger of the JPEGs from different sessions being overwritten.

apples
November 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
ok, I'll post that answer over on PBT.

But must admit I am confused - I'm running 2.4.2 - when I do reprints no copies are made - are you saying that 2.5 does create a copy file with a new name?
Also, are you saying that the print file doesn't have a time stamp like at the moment - I find this really useful to keep a track on paper/media used - for instance on Saturday I changed the paper/media at 10:30pm, I've just checked the timestamps now and can see that I have 260 prints left for my event tomorrow.

Chris Breeze
November 30th, 2012, 05:16 PM
The default filename is unchanged and will use the date and time but if the filename already exits it will append a number to avoid overwriting it. v2.5 allows you to change the filename and so you could just use the date and let the software number the prints. Some people prefer the JPEG copy of the print to have the same name as the first photo in the sequence and you can do this by setting the filename to %o.

apples
December 1st, 2012, 02:03 PM
hi Chris,

But does 2.5 automatically create a new file when you do a reprint? if so, can this be turned off? The person on PBT is saying it takes him some time at the end of an event finding the copies and deleting them - all extra work, when he just wants to dump the prints/photos onto a USB as quick as possible.

Chris Breeze
December 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Yes, it will automatically create another file when you do a reprint because when it comes to write the file it will find a file of the same name already exists and will then append a number to avoid overwriting it. This is a side effect of allowing the flexibility to specify the name of the files. It might make sense to suppress the writing of the file when using the fast reprint option in the next update.