PDA

View Full Version : Wav sound for Touchscreen Keyboard

alexp
November 30th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Is it possible to play a wav sound when the Touchscreen Keyboard comes up?
Also, for those who are not too familiar with XML, can you give instructions on how to change the background color of the keyboard from blue to black?

Chris Breeze
November 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I'm sorry you can't play a wav file when the touchscreen keyboard is displayed (nobody has asked for this before).

The simplest way to change the colors is to display the test touchscreen keyboard and save the settings by holding the Shift and Ctrl keys down and left clicking the mouse. Then edit the four keyboard TIFF images in an image editor or delete the TIFF images and edit the keyboard.xml file in a text editor and change the background_color tag to 0x000000.

alexp
December 1st, 2012, 12:19 AM
The simplest way to change the colors is to display the test touchscreen keyboard and save the settings by holding the Shift and Ctrl keys down and left clicking the mouse. Then edit the four keyboard TIFF images in an image editor or delete the TIFF images and edit the keyboard.xml file in a text editor and change the background_color tag to 0x000000.

Thanks Chris. I was able to change it to black :)

I'm sorry you can't play a wav file when the touchscreen keyboard is displayed (nobody has asked for this before).

Wow, I can't believe no one has asked you for this before. Could this be because nobody is using sound while giving clients an option to email photos to them selves as they're being printed? I mean imagine that you have a really cool welcome.wav, 1.wav, etc, and then the keyboard pops up without any sound. It's kind of awkward I think. Am I missing something?

LorneChesal
December 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM
Wow, I can't believe no one has asked you for this before. Could this be because nobody is using sound while giving clients an option to email photos to them selves as they're being printed? I mean imagine that you have a really cool welcome.wav, 1.wav, etc, and then the keyboard pops up without any sound. It's kind of awkward I think. Am I missing something?

Do you currently offer an email option to your clients?

I ask this because in my experience with offering my clients a way to send their files to themselves, they don't need sound. They want to go as fast as possible and I would think individual keyboard sounds would be lost in that blaze of keystrokes. In the course of an actual event, I would also think *most* audio prompts would fall on deaf ears. Most touchscreens offer a system beep on touch to confirm the press, but it's a millisecond at best. Nowhere near long enough to "say" anything to a client.

If the booth was in a stand alone environment with a slow & casual flow of guests, I could see audio being useful, but not at a social oriented event with room noise, music and the like.

So based on my experience, sound would get in the way of doing business at a quick pace. If you are looking to market to guests, I believe visually is the better option. Show them the words on an external monitor or on a poster/banner etc. I've had success with that approach.

alexp
December 1st, 2012, 08:26 PM
I would think individual keyboard sounds would be lost in that blaze of keystrokes

I wasn't talking about individual keystrokes...

What I would like, is when the keyboard opens, to play an audio prompt like: Enter your email address to send this photo to your self. Obviously this will not work at a loud party. But my point is: If you're using audio prompts for each screen, it will be awkward when keyboard screen opens in silence. So the only option left in this case is not to use audio altogether?

LorneChesal
December 2nd, 2012, 06:04 AM
I wasn't talking about individual keystrokes...

What I would like, is when the keyboard opens, to play an audio prompt like: Enter your email address to send this photo to your self. Obviously this will not work at a loud party. But my point is: If you're using audio prompts for each screen, it will be awkward when keyboard screen opens in silence. So the only option left in this case is not to use audio altogether?

sorry, I misunderstood your question then.

I will say though in my experience, there is no awkwardness when the keyboard pops up. Not that I have ever seen.

alexp
December 2nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
sorry, I misunderstood your question then.

I will say though in my experience, there is no awkwardness when the keyboard pops up. Not that I have ever seen.

After playing the following sounds: ready.wav, 1.wav, 2.wav, 3.wav, 4.wav, confirm_printing.wav, the customer will get used for voice prompts. Therefore, when the keyboard screen will open in silence, it will feel like something is not right. I really hope that that Chris add this option.

alexp
December 4th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Chris, what do you say? :)

Chris Breeze
December 5th, 2012, 08:25 AM
You could workaround this by extending the length of the wav file from the screen displayed before the touchscreen keyboard so that it is still playing when the keyboard is displayed.

I'm always looking for ways to improve the software but have to allocate development time carefully. The ability to play wav files when the photo booth screens are displayed has been available for a while now but so far you're the first person to enquire about playing a wav file when the touchscreen keyboard is displayed.

alexp
December 5th, 2012, 03:36 PM
You could workaround this by extending the length of the wav file from the screen displayed before the touchscreen keyboard so that it is still playing when the keyboard is displayed.

That's a great idea! Thanks Chris.

alexp
December 7th, 2012, 03:44 AM

At first, it seemed like a great workaround, but after giving it some thought, I realized that it's not :( There is no way of knowing how many seconds it will take for the user to press a button on the previous screen. Therefore, the voice command might come at a wrong time, which brings me back to the decision not to use the voice prompts altogether :(

I was so excited about the voice prompts... Wanted to record a girl with a sexy British accent, and all...

Really hope you will add this one day :)