PDA

View Full Version : Error Reading Image

drhubb
May 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM
I am using v1.1.3 of BBP w/ XP, SP2. Getting the following error message when I leave one folder, open another from list on the left pane (showing the directory tree) & then try to open an image:
"Error Reading Image C\............."
"Error Reading Image C\............."
At first, I thought the worst - image lost, especially when I tried to open another folder and got the same message.

But, if I close BBP and then open that folder, I can open the image. Is this normal? or am I doing something wrong? Makes for a frustrating process when reviewing pix.

Douglas Hubbard

JC Raptor
May 23rd, 2005, 06:20 AM
Hallo Douglas,

I have read your comment. I get read error messages when trying to open RAW images with BBPro113. I'm running Windows ME and this trouble has started right after installing the Canbon ZoomBrowser Update V5.2 on both of my computers. Re-installing BBPro didn't help. If you have recently installed Canon ZoomBrowser V5.2 this could be the reason for the error messages.

JC

drhubb
May 23rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
I'm still using a ver. 4 of Zoombrowser. Stopped using ZB when I found Breezebrowser.

drhubb

Chris Breeze
May 23rd, 2005, 04:25 PM
This definitely isn't normal. It's difficult to guess what's happening without more information.

What type of images are they and what do you mean by "opening" an image? (Do you mean viewing it in the main view, displaying it in the "View actual image" window, converting a raw file or opening it in an editor?)

JC Raptor
May 24th, 2005, 09:12 AM
The image type is Canon Digital Rebel RAW (CRW) and it applies to opening the image for converting. Once the RAW image conversion screen opens the error message is displayed and the image is not. When I try to change the conversion settings (e.g. 8 bit to 16 bit) the error message is displayed again.

Chris Breeze
May 25th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I think there are some compatibility issues with some versions of the Canon DLLs which can affect raw conversion of Rebel/300D and Rebel XT/350D raw files in BBPro. Canon have released a new EOS SDK and I plan to release an update to BBPro which fixes this later this week. I just need a bit more time to test the various configurations to be sure I understand the problem fully.

drhubb
May 25th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Chris,

What I was doing was opening folder from BBP 1.13, viewing multiple pix, then clicking on a different folder in the directory tree in the left pane. Opened that folder - main view ( lg. thumbnails) clicked on image to review. That is when I get the error message. Click on any other image in that folder - get the error message. These are all jpegs as I was putting various versions of images on a CD. Wanted to see actual prints of "before & after" of images that looked OK straight from camera.

Drhubb

Chris Breeze
May 25th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Douglas,

Is this only happening with edited JPEGs? It sounds like the most likely cause is either corrupted EXIF data or a perhaps a problem with color profiles. Can you try to narrow this down to a single image and send me a copy so that I can try to reproduce it on my system?

Thanks,

Chris

Derek Basham
May 25th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I am in your evaluation period for your software, and was trying the new rebel cr2 format, (when trying to convert the raw image) which produced an error message"Error developing image: unable to open image". I am running xp pro, with all the canon software on the hard drive, Photoshop cs and the usual. Any suggestions as to what is happening?

db

mmurph
May 27th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Chris,

I am also getting an error trying to work with a Canon .CR2 RAW file - from the 1DsII.

I installed the latest Canon Zoombrowser, etc., last week so that I could test some things. Since then I get the message:

"Error developing image:
unable to open image"

Whenever I try to do a conversion or view a RAW file.

I uninstalled and re-installed the latest BB Pro, no luck.

I did get a message when installing that there was a newer versionof one of the files already on the disk. The first time I kept the newer file. The second time I overwrote that with the file bundled in your package. No luck either way. I didn't pay too much attention to what the file was.

I'll try to uninstall the Canon software and see if that helps. Using Windows XP Home.

Best,
Michael

mmurph
May 27th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I uninstalled everything labelled "Canon" that I could find in Add/Remove Applications. I also uninstalled BB Pro.

I rebooted, re-installed BB Pro 1.1.3 No problem converting RAW files once again. :)

Best,
Michael

Chris Breeze
May 27th, 2005, 11:25 AM
BBPro v1.1.3 needed to copy some libraries from ZoomBrowser 5.1 in order to convert 350D/Rebel XT raw files. This was fine until ZoomBrowser 5.2 was released with newer versions of the libraries which aren't backwards compatible.
Fortunately Canon released a new EOS SDK a few weeks ago and so I can now include all the necessary libraries with BBPro. Here is a beta version of BBPro v1.2 which doesn't need any Canon software to be installed:
http://www.breezesys.com/downloads/bbpro120beta1.exe

rchuri
May 29th, 2005, 01:31 AM
I received my 350D yesterday (Friday) and installed all the Canon S/W.
Updated Zoombrowser to 5.2 and then Breezebrowser would not convert raw images. When my 2 pc reacted the same I came to this site and found the new version 1.2!!
What a day, but I guess things are now good.
Thanks to this forum.

BTW, what are all those applications that are installed with the Canon disk?
I assume the Zoombrowser can be removed (using Breezebrowswer).
Anything else?
Way too much.

Bob

Lenni
May 30th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Chris,

I got exactly the same behavior after installing the latest ZoomBrowser yesterday, also message:

"Error developing image:
unable to open image"

This happens when trying to open 20D .CR2 files. This doesn't happen with G5 RAW files.
I have tried the same as mmurph, as well as uninstalling and installing BBPro, as well as tried to unistall the latest ZoomBrowser and installing old ZoomBrowser, no luck.

I'm using XP Pro

Any suggestions?

Lenni

Lenni
May 30th, 2005, 07:29 PM
OK,

I read more carefully this thread.
Found the 1.2 Beta, and now it works again.

Starting to install all the Canon stuff once again.

Lenni

rchuri
May 31st, 2005, 01:59 PM
I installed Breezebrowser 1.2 and it did solve the RAW file reading problem.
But, Breezebrowser 1.2 did lock up on two different PCs after
a few uses.

I uninstalled BB 1.2 and ZB 5.2.
Reinstalled BB 1.1.3 and ZB 5.1 and all OK.

I am waiting for the final BB 1.2 before I update ZB to 5.2

Bob

rchuri
June 3rd, 2005, 01:04 AM
BB v1.2 beta2 does not display IPTC data that had been inserted inserted via Downloader Pro.

I went back to v113 and using the 'EDIT IPTC data' menu, the IPTC data
was indeed in the file.

Bob

mmurph
June 3rd, 2005, 04:59 PM
Chris,

A belated "thank you" for the quick posting of the Beta version last week. :)

I have not had any problems using it. I left the Canon software uninstalled, I don't really need it right now, so I can't report in on that front.

Thanks again.

Best,
Michael