PDA

View Full Version : Adding only new IPTC data?

GuyScharf
May 22nd, 2005, 02:54 AM
When I use the option to add IPTC data (to a NEF file), Downloader Pro doesn't just add the fields I have entered data for but erases all other IPTC fields. Is there any way to have it not touch fields for which I have not entered data? I'd like to use Downloader Pro to add IPTC data to an image that already has some IPTC data in it.

If not possible now, could it be considered for a future release?

Thanks.

Guy

Chris Breeze
May 23rd, 2005, 03:38 PM
DLPro is designed to download images from a camera or cardreader and so it doesn't expect the images to already contain IPTC data. I wasn't planning to add the ability to merge IPTC data, but would obviously consider it if enough people would find it useful.

GuyScharf
May 23rd, 2005, 04:52 PM
DLPro is designed to download images from a camera or cardreader and so it doesn't expect the images to already contain IPTC data. I wasn't planning to add the ability to merge IPTC data, but would obviously consider it if enough people would find it useful.
Please consider me as one who would find it useful.

I use Nikon Transfer to move images from the card reader to hard drive instead of DLPro because Nikon Transfer will perform some operations on the image that DLPro won't. Notably, it rotates the NEF and embedded thumbnail (if that option is set). Secondarily, it constructs some "shooting data" from Exif and maker notes and places it in the IPTC Caption field; later parts of my workflow depend on that data (though I could change that).

Of course, I don't know whether the occasional incompatibility between NEF files written by DLPro and Nikon Capture have been solved yet or not. If not solved, I couldn't use the feature.

Has there been any change on that front?

Guy

Chris Breeze
May 24th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I believe the latest versions of NikonCapture and NikonView have fixed the IPTC compatibility problems.