PDA

View Full Version : Iptc

Lynnea
May 30th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I am changing from Nikon to Canon. I have a 20D and want to use Downloader Pro for transfer and renaming. With the Nikon software I was able to transfer IPTC info which was placed in Decription field and was called Beginning of Shooting Data Section. There was a lot of information that didn't seem identical to EXIF information.

In the EXIF information there is a field Image Description with has Beginning of Shooting Data Section, but there is no information.

With the Canon download, there is no IPTC Description field. and no Beginning of Shooting Data Section, nor in the EXIF under Image Description is there a Beginning of Shooting Data Section.

In Downloader preferences, I have marked Generate text for EXIF as well as Add NAA/IPTC data.

I am confused about the differences in the information downloaded. In both instances (Nikon and Canon) I am only looking at RAW images.

What should I do to get the shooting information?

Lynnea

Chris Breeze
May 31st, 2005, 10:46 AM
The shooting data for Canon and Nikon raw files is stored in the image as Exif data and can be read by most good image browsers. Downloader Pro has the option to create a text file containing the shooting data which can be useful if you want read it with a text editor or import it into a database.
Downloader Pro also has the option to write IPTC data to images as they are downloaded and this can be fixed data (e.g. location and copyright information) or a subset of the shooting data for each image (e.g. %d will give the date the image was shot).

GuyScharf
May 31st, 2005, 08:39 PM
I am changing from Nikon to Canon. I have a 20D and want to use Downloader Pro for transfer and renaming. With the Nikon software I was able to transfer IPTC info which was placed in Decription field and was called Beginning of Shooting Data Section. There was a lot of information that didn't seem identical to EXIF information.

In the EXIF information there is a field Image Description with has Beginning of Shooting Data Section, but there is no information.

With the Canon download, there is no IPTC Description field. and no Beginning of Shooting Data Section, nor in the EXIF under Image Description is there a Beginning of Shooting Data Section.

In Downloader preferences, I have marked Generate text for EXIF as well as Add NAA/IPTC data.

I am confused about the differences in the information downloaded. In both instances (Nikon and Canon) I am only looking at RAW images.
Lynnea,

Were you using Nikon Transfer? Nikon Transfer optionally creates a "Beginning of Shooting Data" text and places it in the IPTC Caption/Abstract field. Nikon Transfer creates this information based on what it knows about how to interpret the contents of the EXIF data, including Nikon Maker notes that are not formally documented.

If you have questions about differences between the text that Nikon generated and the EXIF data, I might be able to answer your questions just based on some studying I have done to try to understand the data. I know nothing about Canon data though.

Guy