PDA

View Full Version : Can BB Pro do this?

db27513
January 22nd, 2005, 02:38 AM
Hi - Ive spent the better part of a couple months keywording several thousand pictures. My goal is to put all the photos on a web server, have a program (BB Pro?) generate HTML thumbnails, and then be able to search the photos by IPTC keyword, from a browser. Is this possible? I see that BB Pro will pull keywords into the HTML pages, but then what?

As a bonus would also like to be able to do the same thing with the photos on a CD or DVDRAM.. Does BB Pro allow for a runtime?

Thanks in advance

Dave in NC

keff
January 22nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
In short, no. You will require another product, or do it yourself. BB can do the web pages, but not the search. Dumping the IPTC to e.g. a MySQL db, and writing some PHP for a searh is one way to go. There might be some freeware apps out there that do it.

Steve

Evo2Me
January 23rd, 2005, 08:44 AM
Just an idea:

Since the data are there couldn't one include Google's search (they offer it for individual Websites, don't they?) to search for IPTC data?

Chris Breeze
January 24th, 2005, 12:30 PM
BBPro doesn't have a search function, but it is something I'm looking at. It would work by reading the data from each image and so wouldn't be as fast as an image cataloging app that uses a dedicated database.
You could use BBPro's HTML generator to create pages with the IPTC fields and then search using one of the desktop search engines. I've been using the Yahoo desktop search engine and find it very useful.

DaveZSmith
February 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Chris, can you shed some more light on how this can be done? I'm a novice at building web pages, so any information would be helpful. If I save the web pages to my hard drive, can the Yahoo search engine search the IPTC data?

Chris Breeze
February 11th, 2005, 12:29 PM
You can include IPTC data in the HTML galleries by editing the template file e.g.
Use a text editor like wordpad to edit fullsize_template.htm for the "black" template. Where you see @caption@ near the bottom add lines for the IPTC data:

@caption@

ObjectName: @IPTC_objectName@

Keywords: @IPTC_keywords@

Then use Yahoo Desktop Search to search for files, set the file type to htm and enter the search text. The search is very fast and it displays the HTML page with the search results.

robkipp
August 16th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Hello Chris,

It sure would be nice to have BB-Pro do a search for @caption@
or IPTC_keywords@
I have most files from several years loaded with Captions and
being able to search for them in BB-Pro would be a nice feature.

Rob Kipp
http://robkipp.com/