PDA

View Full Version : A few feature requests

cpeters58
June 15th, 2005, 05:17 AM
1. It would be nice to be able to launch the custom app at the beginning of the download, rather than at the end. Photoshop takes a long time to boot up, so it might as well be doing that while the photos are downloading.

2. It would be nice to be able to automatically fill in all the IPTC fields that Adobe Bridge shows by default, notably the email and website fields.

I love Downloader Pro!

Chris Breeze
June 15th, 2005, 08:59 AM
1. It would be nice to be able to launch the custom app at the beginning of the download, rather than at the end. Photoshop takes a long time to boot up, so it might as well be doing that while the photos are downloading.

I don't think this would be a good idea because the custom app may end up running before all the images have been downloaded. It would also be nice if Photoshop loaded faster and didn't bring my 3.8GHz PC to a virtual standstill for 20 sec.

2. It would be nice to be able to automatically fill in all the IPTC fields that Adobe Bridge shows by default, notably the email and website fields.

It's not clear what are IPTC fields and what are Adobe private fields. If you look at the .xmp sidecar files most of the fields are defined as Photoshop data.

I love Downloader Pro!

Thanks! I use it every day

cpeters58
June 15th, 2005, 02:39 PM
It wouldn't really matter if Photoshop started up before all the files were downloaded.

Maybe it would be too confusing to the UI, but you already have an optional checkbox to run the custom app at the end, I would just add an additional checkbox to start it at the beginning,

Another idea is to have "Custom App 1" button and "Custom App 2" button, one that can be started at the beginning and one at the end of the download process.

I would use "Custom App 1" to get Adobe Photoshop started, then use "Custom App 2" at the end to get Adobe Bridge started.

sneagle
June 15th, 2005, 04:19 PM
cpeters58--

I bet you could write a batch file or something that you could use to open Downloader and Photoshop.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/batch.mspx

OlgaJ
July 11th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Is it possible for Downloader Pro to have an option to format a card after downloading and erasing the images?

I have 3 different cards and unless I format them, then the numbering of the images gets intertwined. (I like to keep all three cameras on their own numbering since it tells me how many images have been taken with each camera.)

Olga

Chris Breeze
July 12th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I never format cards on the PC and always do it in camera as it is too easy to format using the wrong file system (e.g. FAT32 or NTFS). Deleting all the images off the card using DLPro should be sufficient to avoid upsetting the camera's numbering.

To be honest I don't bother keeping track of the numbering in my cameras. I have four cameras I use regularly and a dozen CF cards and I just let them get on with it. I'm happy as long as DLPro downloads the images into correctly named and dated folders (which it does).