PDA

View Full Version : Caption token error and rotation speed.

Jeffrey
January 22nd, 2005, 06:08 PM
I have a problem with the the token @fileNOExt@. I used it nicely in previous version for captioning onto the html images, but in BBPro, it applies to the image the same as @fileNoExtlower@. Something not come over in the upgrade? I need the ability to keep upper case lettering, especially when it comes to L's and such, they look too much like 1's. It will lead to problems.

Also, rotation seems slower yet in BBpro. Ran a few tests and Nikonview is faster at rotating similair images than BBPro or BB. Not sure what each is doing to the image, but time is a factor for my workflow. I would like to use BBPro right through my workflow, but as it stands, I will need to download and have it open into NV for rotation, then go back to BBPro and continue on. I am handling 200-400 D1X images at a time, several times a day. Rotating ~50%. The time adds up. Any help?

Thanks

Chris Breeze
January 24th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I've fixed the problem with upper case filenames and the @fileNoExt@ token in HTML watermarks. This will be in BBPro v1.0.2 when it is released later this week.

I'm a bit puzzled by the speed of rotation of Nikon D1X raw files. On my system I can select 40 D1X raw files in thumbnail view and rotate them all in around 1 sec. I don't have 400 sample images from the D1X but I would expect BBPro to take around 10 secs to rotate them all.

Jeffrey
January 25th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I did a test on 60 images, all jpeg, which I normally shoot for my purposes. All images were exactly the same. The two sets of identical images were in seperate folders. No other processing that I could see was turned on.

The BBpro did all 60 in 58 sec. Almost 1 per second.

NV did them all in 38 sec. Just a little under 2 per second.

It is a new machine, p4 3.2, 1.5gb ram, sata hard drive, all fresh installs with newest versions. I ran it with BBpro first then NV and then restarted machine and reversed order. I was trying to make sure there wasn't anything held in memory to affect the outcome. I have tried all the variables I know of to perform a fair test.

I am just wondering if I missed something. I can work around it, just wish I didn't have to.

Jeffrey

Chris Breeze
January 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM
There are two ways to rotate JPEGs in BBPro:

Using the EXIF Orientation tag
Losslessly rotating the image data

#1 is very fast, but only works if the JPEG contains an EXIF Orientation tag and this type of rotation is enabled in preferences. Otherwise BBPro uses method #2.
On my system 183 8M pixel JPEGs from my 1D Mark II were rotated in just under 5 secs - approx 40 per sec.

Jeffrey
January 25th, 2005, 11:14 PM
I use D1x's, so for now, there is no rotation data imbedded. D2x'x are ordered, but who knows when they will come in.

Any chance DL can handle that? They all download in one orientation as is, just imbed that during dl and then go through and tag the images for rotation, only faster. Then create the webpage, since BBpro is able to read the data.

Does this sound doable? And were would I add this info into DL and what format? I am new to DLpro and still learning, but time is gettng short.

Thanks

Chris Breeze
January 26th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Downloader Pro already has an auto-rotate JPEG option, but of course it only works if your camera has an orientation sensor.