PDA

View Full Version : downloader pro not reading image number from exif?

dlevens
June 21st, 2005, 05:47 AM
I am trying to figure out what the first 3 numbers in the EXIF Canon MakerNote Image Number are? Many programs such as Downloader Pro only use the last 4 digits as the actual image number but when you look at the actual exif data with a program such as Opanda Exif 2.0 or most exif readers you will see that the Image Number is actually 7 digits. Some programs display the result as 1234567 and others display it as 123-4567.

Download pro uses 4567 as the image number.

In addition to wanting to know what the first 3 digits are in image number, is there a way I can rename an image file using Makernote image number?

The reason for my second question is I recently am starting to use downloader pro to pull down my images off my CF card and rename them using this format:

YYYYMMDD_Pro1_#### Pro1 being my camera and #### is image number from exif.

20050423_Pro1_1139

When going back over my 1000s of pictures before I used downloader pro I can load them up in downloader pro to rename them, and it correctly reads date picture was taken, but even though the image number is present in the canon makernote exif, downloader pro does not use it for image number. Instead it uses what ever number it finds as the name of the jpg. For instance when trying to use downloader pro to rename this file:

test 034.jpg it renames to 20050423_Pro1_034.jpg even though the exif data shows the image number as 1139.

Dennis

Chris Breeze
June 21st, 2005, 06:26 AM
The first three numbers are the folder number e.g. an image stored as \DCIM\123CANON\IMG_2345.JPG would have an image number of 123-2345.
This information is only stored in the EXIF MakerNote by Canon PowerShot cameras and older EOS cameras (except the 1D series).

Downloader Pro doesn't read this data from the MakerNote because it is only available from a small subset of cameras. Instead it reads it using the first three characters of the folder name (which works for all DCF compliant cameras). BreezeBrowser and BreezeBrowser Pro do read this from the EXIF MakerNote if it is available and can use it to batch rename images.