PDA

View Full Version : Downloading rotated jpegs

bozkins
January 25th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I have a 20D and was photographing a flyball tournament at the weekend. I have the autorotate jpg feature turned on in my camera. During download, DL Pro would often crash when it encountered a photo which was orientated vertically. Looking at the downloads, it appears that if there were three vertical shots in sequence (for example) it would be the second vertical one which crashed the downloader. Fortunately I could always resume downloading but I ended up switching off the autorotate in the camera to stop it happening after I had noticed a pattern.
Any ideas?
thanks,
Wendy

Chris Breeze
January 25th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Are you using the latest version, Downloader Pro v1.6.2? There is a bug in the way the 1D Mark II and 20D write thumbnails in JPEGs and this could cause DLPro to crash. The latest version of DLPro includes a workaround.

gabrielma
March 26th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Interesting to read for the first time that there is a mention that the 1D-M2 and 20D have a bug in the way this autorotate is done. I spent about three days trying to figure out what is wrong with my setup.

Your Downloader Pro seems to get around the problem I've had using either Canon's EVU (v1.2) or even Zoombrowser (v5.0) where pictures taken with the camera rotated a specific way (say, with the shutter release button at the top, or rather, the camera rotated to the "left"), the pictures will not be rotated, but if the camera is rotated the other way, they will be. The most bizarre thing of all, the preview in EVU or Zoombrowser will show the correct orientation, but the file itself is not rotated (i.e., it's in landscape, not portrait). I called Canon support but they claim that this is how it's supposed to be, although that's how they handle many problems with their software or cameras until there is a flood of uproar.

It is true that version 1.6.2 of B.Downloader Pro does this autorotation of the JPEG files flawlessly (it has not crashed on me at all, no matter what combination of picture orientation sequence). Files downloaded with Downloader Pro are right now the only solution to download JPEGs with correct autorotation from the Canon 20D, at least in my experience.

Off-topic: I do wish that Downloader Pro had an option to append an increment (i.e. file v. file_1) when attempting to redownload a file that it claims is already downloaded; with this option, it would prevent file rewriting and duplication; this is how other software handle this situation.

Chris Breeze
March 29th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Downloader Pro uses the filenames of downloaded files to keep track of whether they have been downloaded already. If it appended _1 to images with duplicate names it wouldn't be able to do this and the user would have to manually delete duplicates. This would be annoying if you accidentally downloaded a memory card twice and extremely tedious if you download an external disk with thousands of images and protentially hundreds of duplicates. Most external storage drives take an image of the CF card and so you often end up with duplicates which isn't a problem the way DLPro works now.