PDA

View Full Version : BBP 1.0.2: Ghost Installer

Evo2Me
January 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Is it just me (I hope not) but the new installer is either a major troublemaker or something's wrong.

I downloaded the new BBP version, hit install, checked the option to install a newer version and now the install is, maybe, running. Every few seconds a small window flashes, "Ghost Installer", with a progress indicat The .operative here is "flashes" - it doesn't stay.

Chris Breeze
January 26th, 2005, 07:28 AM
I haven't had any other reports of this. All I can suggest is rebooting your PC and trying again.

Evo2Me
January 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Here we go again.
I've done a couple of things we traditionally do when there's trouble brewing with Windows, including restart, quitting othe rprograms and switching off virus scanner.

Then I double-clicked on bbpr102.exe, got my choice of Uninstall or Repair/Update, choose the latter, and got the Ghost installers window flashing. Opened the task manager to kill the task, which I couldn't since the installer's falshing always lost my focus.

But I saw something interesting: 2 (two) tasks labelled bbpro101.exe at the top. So after a hard restart I moved the older installer out of BBP's directory and started the one for version 1.0.2 again. I chose what I want and now I get something else.

I get a dialogue telling me the "file 'bbpro101.exe' was not found."

I have no idea why the new installer tries to start the old one, I have even less thoughts about why it looped originally on this.

Perhaps I should - only thing I didn't do, yet - uninstall BBP 1.0.1 and start from scratch?

Evo2Me
January 26th, 2005, 08:02 PM
I'd still like to know what and where the problem actually was. For now I uninstalled 1.0.1 and then used the 1.0.2 installer, which now worked like a charm.

Luckily the registration was still there, saving me from c/p'ing it in a second time.

Chris Breeze
January 27th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I've no idea why you had problems. I've installed and reinstalled hundreds of times without any problems and so far nobody else has reported any problems. Anyway at least uninstalling and then reinstalling has fixed the problem,

Evo2Me
January 27th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Perhaps some day we find out.

First I thought some errant entry in the Registry was the culprit, but there was none, that is, none pointing to the older installer.

Let's see what happens next time. :)

Evo2Me
February 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
It is "next time" - and it happened again.

The Installer, upon my choosing "Repair/Install newer version", came upa and up again, doing nothing. And it wasn't the actual 1.1Alpha but the older 1.02 shown in the Task Manager.

I moved the original installer to another directory. Now I was asked for the correct position of the 1.02 installer.

Again had to uninstall the old version and then install (without trouble) the Alpha.

Chris Breeze
February 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I still haven't had any problems on any of my systems or reports of this from other users. Sorry, but it appears to be something on your system and you may need to keep uninstalling the previous version before installing a newer one. (You won't lose any of your settings if you do this.)

Evo2Me
March 19th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Just to keep us up to date.

Last night I installed 1.1. Like before I first tried to install over my existing installation (I think it was the first Alpha, could have been the second already). And like before it didn't work, but this time with a twist:

Instead of the Ghost Installer calling itself up again and again, I now got a warning/request that Alpha 2's set-up pack couldn't be found. Like before I decided to uninstall and then install fresh. For reasons beyond me, the 1.1 installer left lots of files (DLLs) in the directory but deleted itself.

For the first time I am lucky that the uninstall leaves the registry settings ...

Chris Breeze
March 21st, 2005, 08:48 AM
Sorry I don't understand why you're having problems. Nothing has changed in the installation app in BBPro v1.1 from BBPro v1.0.2 and so you'd exepect to behave the same as before.

I install and uninstall BBPro dozes of times every week during normal testing and I've never once had a problem. It must be something unusual about your PC because there still haven't been any other reports of similar problems.

Evo2Me
March 21st, 2005, 01:38 PM
Looks like it. Although I have no idea what is so special about my machine; I guess most of us are using WinXP/SP2 by now?!