PDA

View Full Version : Separate RAW Exposures for DRI?

CamBoy
January 25th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I often use DRI for a higher Dynamic Range. At the moment I convert a RAW File in BBPro into 3 seperate files (-2, 0, +2) via Exposure Compension Tool. But I have to rename the filenames after every conversion, to prevent a file overwride. Is there a possibility to do this in one step? For example a button with a funktion that generates 3 seperate files (with different Exposure Compension) from 1 RAW with normal filename and additionally fileending 0 or +2 or -2, so I don´t have to do 3 different conversations and file rename to to prevent a file overwride with the same file with a different Exposure Compension attitude. Maybe a new function in a later Version of BBPro?

Thanks

DeanSilver
January 25th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Great suggestion! I second the motion.

Dean

Chris Breeze
January 26th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Interesting suggestion. I've been experimenting with HDR (high dynamic range) images too, but I've been doing it using exposure bracketing at the picture taking stage. A five stop bracketing sequence makes a huge difference for interior shots and looks promising for night time shots.
Do you find you get a significant improvement by converting the same raw image using -2, 0, +2 exp compensation? Do you have any "before" and "after" sample galleries? What software are you using to combine the images?

DeanSilver
January 26th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Chris,

It's always preferable to bracket the shots, but sometimes one can't (or just doesn't) use a tripod, so bracketing the conversion is the next best solution.

Layers with masks in Photoshop make the combination manageable, if not always easy. Even a two stop bracket (+/- 1) can yield much more useable image. You can't push it too much, but it's surprising how much you can.

If you do implement this feature, you might consider an easy automated naming convention such as simply appending "+" and "-", or "+1" and "+2" to the filename. Fractional exposure compensation could perhaps be indicated with letters (perhaps a for 1/4, b for 1/3, c for 1/2, etc.) to avoid the potential pitfalls of using dots.

Thanks for considering this suggestion!

Dean

CamBoy
January 26th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Surely not an extreme significant improvement, but a better one, as for example from the combined conversation method in BBPro. I agree, the exposure bracketing method with many difference shots are the best way to do DRI (HDR) as it best, but you have to use a tripod every time. (best for Nightshots, where you need absolutely a tripod.) But for normal daylight shots with extrems in the shadows and the highlights you can use the RAW method, to get a better overall image with more details in the shadows and the highlights, than with one shot alone. (0 exposure) And the best, you can do this freehand without a tripod or else, so you can use this every time and everywhere. I have tested this on weekend with a "freehand panorama".

You can see this here: (http://www.pbase.com/camboy/image/38944033/original) (This is the final DRI pano, the original is a lot darker and the trees and the Mountains in the Background are nearly black)

I will test this again on next weekend when I have more time and can post some samples (compares) later.

At the moment I use the free "ImageStacker" programm from Bernhard Hartl.

You can download and test it here: (http://www.pixeltreff.net/files/)

This programm do the same, as for example Photomatix (http://www.hdrsoft.com/) with the build-in funktion --> Combine --> Average, which stacks several picture to one together (the endresult is the same, but "ImageStacker" is freeware by now.)

The results with this stacking program brings a better overall picture, with more details in the shadows and highlights from only one RAW. (combined whit 3 several shots... -2, 0, +2)

CamBoy
January 26th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Here some older test RAWs... More when desired later...

Original Test Pix 1 (http://www.pbase.com/camboy/image/39086984/original)

Stacked Test Pix 1 (combined RAW to DRI -2, 0, +2) (http://www.pbase.com/camboy/image/39086982/original)

Original Test Pix 2 (http://www.pbase.com/camboy/image/39086985/original)

Stacked Test Pix 2 (combined RAW to DRI -2, 0, +2) (http://www.pbase.com/camboy/image/39086983/original)

DRI isn´t the only and best way, the results don't have to look better, often a picture looks original better, but it is an easy way to increase the Dynamic Range. (particularly in the shadows)

I have used the samples above, because they have a great Range from Highlights to Shadows already in the original pix. Maybe I found some other samples, where the positiv effect is more visible.

Chris Breeze
January 27th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks for posting the samples. I've been using PhotoImpact 10 to combine the images and have been quite pleased with the results. I don't think it's worth paying $89.95 for PhotoImpact just to use this feature as the program is very slow and keeps locking up on my system. I don't need another photo editor as I already have Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements 2 & 3 and Paint Shop Pro.

CamBoy
January 27th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Hmmm Chris, what do you think? Is there a chance to integrate such function that generates 3 seperate files from 1 RAW with exposure settings up to -2, 0, +2 and different filenames extensions? This can be done for example by one ON / OFF button, to enable or disable this function.

Maybe plus a slider, where you can set the amount of Exposure Dispersion from 0 to 2 (which means by settings 2 it generates 3 pictures with setting -2, 0 and +2, by settings 1 it generates 3 pictures with setting -1, 0 and +1, and so on...)

Chris Breeze
January 28th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I think it's a bit specialized and other things probably have higher priority. It might be worth considering a "super combined" conversion mode which blends the three conversions.

DeanSilver
January 28th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Chris,

It sounds like you're envisioning this feature as something more complex than it needs to be. What I'd like to see is simply three conversions with different exposure settings, named appropriately. It would be accomplished from one visit to the RAW conversion dialog. The user would be able to specify the level of EC.

I specifically would NOT like to have BB perform any combination of the conversions. That would be best left to the user, using whatever means he might prefer. The combination will be a delicate operation, one which I believe would not be performed optimally by any automatic operation.

It should also be much easier for you to implement if no combination is required.

Thanks,
Dean

Chris Breeze
January 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I think this would be only be useful to a small minority of users and would confuse other users.

CamBoy
January 29th, 2005, 01:57 PM
@ Chris

Thanks for your answer.

I agree with Dean... It would NOT have to perform any combination of the conversions in BB... Only simply output the three conversions with different exposure settings, named appropriately. I don't think, that this new feature will confuse other users. They don't have to use it if they wont. But it is a very nice and helpfull feature to save time. DRI (HDR) is growing high in the next time, you will miss such a chance in your Programm? Be the first! Naturally you can implant also a new "super combined" conversion mode which blends the three conversions, if you like. (maybe contact Bernhard Hartl to implant his programm stacking version?) But for now, the simply output of three different exposure conversions is sufficiently.

DeanSilver
January 30th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Chris,

On the other hand, think of what a coup it would be for BreezeBrowser Pro. A really useful feature that no other raw converter is capable of at this time, one that might encourage new users to try BBPro. Another advanced feature to differentiate BBPro from BB. A feature that saves significant time in a workflow that utilizes it.

It wouldn't have to be confusing to anyone: it could be "hidden away" in the conversion method drop down list, easy to disregard if the user isn't interested in it, but easy to invoke if desired.

After all, it's just bracketing, implemented during conversion. Nothing too confusing about that! It's taking advantage of one of the great benefits of shooting RAW: the ability to adjust exposure after the fact. And exposure compensation is already built-in. Less mysterious than combined conversion, and more useful, I daresay.

Anyway, some people will be confused no matter what!!! :)

Thanks,
Dean

TomMc
February 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Fred Miranda has DRI Pro for about US$20. It runs in PSE, PS 6,7, CS.

I've used it a bit and it does a decent job. I'm on my work laptop and don't have any samples to post at this time.

More info here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/DRI

Fred has a bunch of great tools for PS.

regards,

- tom

Zero-Point
February 5th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I like this suggestion too, but unfortunately as Chris has said, it is a specialized feature and may only be used by a small percentage of BB users.

On the other hand, if BB had scripting capabilites, this could be accomplished and would be more generalized and useful for more people.

unlikely though.