PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Weddings/newby questions

cbeam2
August 21st, 2005, 04:04 PM
Can someone give me a heads up on their settings for dowloading multiple cards, specifically for weddings? My first attempt just playing with two cards didn't do what I thought it would. The cards were from a 10D & a 20D. I tried to renumber 0001 & up but the different file types each started from 0001.

Chuck

cbeam2
August 21st, 2005, 05:12 PM
Are these settings going to be safe for duplicate file numbers? I'm
putting the job code in the directory (Kristina_Mathew), camera
model & original file name.The file dir/name will look like this
Kristina_Mathew\10D CRW_9980.CRW

Chuck

cbeam2
August 22nd, 2005, 04:21 AM
Well that doesn't seem to work. Sometimes the Camera will use duplicate folder/file names.

Geez, somebody help here :)

Chuck

Gary_Berg
August 22nd, 2005, 04:25 PM
Chuck,

Make sure the camera is set to not reset the numbering; this is an option in the menus. I think it's called File Number Reset - be sure it's off. This should make the camera number in ascending order all the time.

DL Pro has the ability to recognize different cameras and assign a code to it (this is the Mapping tab in preferences). So you should be able to renumber with that as part of the name of the file. You could also use date/time as part of the filename. You may want to use the camera designation as part of a folder name to be sure the camera outputs get separated.

I'd also suggest using a Job Code as a folder name or something to distinguish different jobs, so you can download multiple cards to the same folder.

If you've got the camera designation as part of each filename, the cameras shouldn't be able to overlap filenames if you have File Number Reset disabled.

Gary_Berg
August 22nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
Chuck, re-reading your note, I think it's a mistake to try to use DL Pro to renumber images starting at 1. Keep the native camera image numbers; if you really are hung up starting at 1 do a renumber after you've got all the images downloaded.

cbeam2
August 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
Yeah I figured out not to renumber very quickly. My second post shows what I then tried. Here is what I ended up doing (can you tell me if it's safe?)
Camera code, original file name & %n4 (the %n4 incase there are duplicate folder/file numbers.

I think what I ran into on duplicate file/folder numbers is that I was getting near the end of a card at a bad time so I popped in another card to format it and have it ready. I then put the original card back in the camera.

Chuck

One more than I'm having problem with.
Downloader is not in the popup quick start menu in XP, so I can select it to auto run when a card is detected.

Chris Breeze
August 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
For general shooting my preference is to download the images into date based folders (I use D:\Photos\%Y\%Y-%m-%D) and keep the original camera filenames. If you're using two cameras you can reduce the chance of duplicate filenames by including the camera model and/or time the photo was taken e.g. use %T_%o or %o_%t for the filename. You can also use the camera mapping function if you want more control over how images from different cameras are handled.

You need to select "Register for AutoPlay events" from the Events menu to add DLPro to the list of apps Windows XP displays when a card is inserted in the card reader.

cbeam2
August 23rd, 2005, 04:37 PM
Chris, Wouldn't a rapid series of shots be an issue with the time (%T)?

Chuck

Chris Breeze
August 24th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Chris, Wouldn't a rapid series of shots be an issue with the time (%T)?

Chuck

It would be a problem if you only use %t, but if you also include %o (e.g. %o_%t) the camera file numbering will ensure the filenames are unique.