PDA

View Full Version : DLP Backup Plugin String?

edt
September 11th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I'm giving up on the trial & error method, somebody help me! :(

I am trying to begin using the Backup PlugIn.

DLP currently downloads the original file to my #1 external drive.....the Download Directory for it is:
H:\My Pictures\%m-%D-%Y and the File Name is %J-%r.

All the above works fine.

I want the Plugin to save a mirrored copy of the file on my #2 External Drive as a backup. Apparently I can't get the string right in the Setup field on the backup plugin.

I guess I need someone to tell me EXACTLY what to enter in the field.....

A big thank you in advance.

Ed T

Chris Breeze
September 12th, 2005, 09:53 AM
It should work if you just change the drive letter in the download path and keep the other settings the same.
e.g. If you second drive is J:

Main download directory: H:\My Pictures\%m-%D-%Y
Main filename: %J-%r

Plug-in download directory: J:\My Pictures\%m-%D-%Y
Plug-in filename: %J-%r

edt
September 13th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Chris, be patient, we're closing in on a solution.

Tried the string as you suggested--but I get a message like"...Cannot create backup copy of (filename). Too many versions of (file name) already exist."

In the Plug In Setup Field it asks for the file name template.....I am putting the entire string there--which in Preferences/Download Path is TWO entries: both Download Directory AND File Name, separately.

But in the Plugin it calls for file name only, but I assume I need to put entire path...since there is no place else to put the
Directory? (fwiw, my entry in the Setup field of Plug in is:
F:\My Pictures\%m-%D-%Y%J%r

And while I'm asking questions that qualify me for remedial group, exactly what does it mean when it says the backup copy is Read Only?

many thx, Ed :o

Chris Breeze
September 13th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Are you using Downloader Pro v1.6.2 and the BackupCopy plug-in downloaded from the support page or the Downloader Pro v1.7 beta which includes a new backup plug-in?
You can only use strings like F:\My Pictures\%m-%D-%Y%J%r with the new plug-in.

BTW I hope to release Downloader Pro v1.7 later this week.

cartersfarm
September 16th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I'm in a somewhat similar boat - only I had this working with the old plugin... I routinely change which download path I'm using based on which person in the family's camera I'm downloading. What I've been doing since day one (1 year or so ago) is using the backup to place a copy on an external drive and on my internal RAID. The internal has a deeper hiearchy so I do it as the "backup" appending "F:\Active Photos\Incoming" to the path used for the external "Z:\Daddy\%Y\%m-%B\%y-%m-%D-%A\%J" for instance with a file name of "%y%m%D%t%n1-%J".

Today was the first time I've used 1.7 and it broke! How can I include just a delta to the generated pathname used under preferences - Without having to re-enter the new directory when I change to "Z:\Elizabeth\%Y\%m-%B\%y-%m-%D-%A\%J"?

Can I use the old plug-in with 1.7?

Thank you,
Ed

edt
September 19th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Chris,

I am using 1.6.2 and the plug in downloaded from the Support page. You can see the file path I'm using, it's in my above post.

The path is identical to the path I use for the original file, only the Backup copy begins with F, rather than H. With each file downloaded, I get a "warning, cannot download backup copy because...too many versions..."

Help! :confused:

Chris Breeze
September 19th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I'm in a somewhat similar boat - only I had this working with the old plugin... I routinely change which download path I'm using based on which person in the family's camera I'm downloading. What I've been doing since day one (1 year or so ago) is using the backup to place a copy on an external drive and on my internal RAID. The internal has a deeper hiearchy so I do it as the "backup" appending "F:\Active Photos\Incoming" to the path used for the external "Z:\Daddy\%Y\%m-%B\%y-%m-%D-%A\%J" for instance with a file name of "%y%m%D%t%n1-%J".

Today was the first time I've used 1.7 and it broke! How can I include just a delta to the generated pathname used under preferences - Without having to re-enter the new directory when I change to "Z:\Elizabeth\%Y\%m-%B\%y-%m-%D-%A\%J"?

Can I use the old plug-in with 1.7?

Thank you,
Ed

Yes, you can use the old plug-in with DLPro v1.7.
It sounds as though it would make sense to add some tokens to allow the plug-in to access the main download path to make this easier.

Chris Breeze
September 19th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Chris,

I am using 1.6.2 and the plug in downloaded from the Support page. You can see the file path I'm using, it's in my above post.

The path is identical to the path I use for the original file, only the Backup copy begins with F, rather than H. With each file downloaded, I get a "warning, cannot download backup copy because...too many versions..."

Help! :confused:

You need to use Downloader Pro v1.7 and the new backup plug-in if you want to use strings like F:\My Pictures\%m-%D-%Y%J%r. The old plug-in doesn't have access to these tokens.