PDA

View Full Version : Incompatibility issue

herman
September 15th, 2005, 08:56 AM
I connected new hardware to my PC which seems to introduce a compatibility problem.

The hardware is a brand new Canon PIXMA MP760 printer/scanner, which has a build-in card reader.

Using the card reader from DLPro gives no problem. It can download the images and delete them from the card. However, when DLPro wants to launch BBPro the DL program hangs. It also hangs when the printer is ON but I use USB to connect the camera to the PC. Everything goes fine until the moment BB is called, then DL hangs. When I switch the printer OFF DLPro can launch BB without problem.

The platform is Windows XP prof SP2, all patches applied.
I use the latest versions of DLPro and BBPro.
The PC has 2 GB of RAM and plenty of HD space.
The latest Canon drivers are installed for the MP760.

Windows reports the following error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: (101)
Event ID: 1002
Date: 14-9-2005
Time: 22:49:38
User: N/A
Computer: ..............
Description:
Hanging application Downloader.exe, version 1.6.2.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

I know this is probably more a Canon problem than a DL / BB issue. Nevertheless I feel Chris should be aware of this, and I just hope it can be fixed ;)

Best regards,
Herman.

Note: see next message for more information.

herman
September 15th, 2005, 04:52 PM
I did some further thinking and troubleshooting on this issue.

I unchecked the "Link button to BreezeBrowser Pro or BreezeBrowser" in the preferences / custom button window, but left the "Enable custom button" checked.

Next I browsed in the command line window to PS Elements.
It appears that I can call PSE from within DLPRo, even if my MP760 is ON.

Next I browsed in the command line window to BBPro, but left the "Link button to BreezeBrowser Pro or BreezeBrowser" unchecked. In this situation I can call BBPro from within DLPro too, even if the MP760 is ON.

So the DLPro hang only occurs when I use the pre-defined setting of the "Link button to BreezeBrowser Pro or BreezeBrowser" button with the MP760 ON. If the MP760 is OFF there is no problem using the pre-defined setting of this button.

It sounds weird, but perhaps it gives a clue to whatever is wrong here.

BTW, I installed DLPro 1.7 now, but the behaviour in this respect is the same.

/edit 1/

I just did a test with a memory card containing some pictures.
The custom button was set to BBPro (as described above, not the pre-defined setting). The images were downloaded, the card is erased and ejected, and BBPro started up. It just does not show the first directory with images created in this download session. It seems that a parameter is needed when calling the program just to do that. Back to the user manual.....

/edit 2/

Adding a %d parameter to the command line does it. DLPro still calls BBPro without problems, and BBPro launches in the proper directory.
Now the weirdest thing of all: this 'hand made' command line is identical to the pre-defined command line. When I check "Link button to BreezeBrowser Pro or BreezeBrowser" DLPro hangs, when leave it unchecked but with identical command line things work as expected. So for the time being it seems that I have found a workaround.

admin
September 16th, 2005, 07:22 AM
DLPro works slightly differently when you enable "Link button to BreezeBrowser Pro or BreezeBrowser". Before launching BBPro it sends a Windows message to see if a copy of BBPro is already running and if it is it sends another message to tell the running copy of BBPro to load the new images. If BBPro is not running DLPro launches BBPro from the command line. If you use the command line option DLPro will always launch a new copy of BBPro.

What appears to be happening is the Canon printer software is somehow interfering with the Windows message queue and this is causing DLPro to hang. Using the command line option to launch BBPro from DLPro should avoid this problem.

herman
September 16th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks Chris.
This explains what is going on.
So it is a Canon problem, but the work-around is good enough for me. As I use DLPro always in 'fully automatic mode' there is little chance there may be two instances of DL running, so I can live with it as it is now.