PDA

View Full Version : Image File Encryption

Arn
October 4th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Does BB Pro support any kind of image file encryption; through plugings or otherwise?

I'd like to protect my images from unauthorized copying and my clients privacy while their images are on my system.

Is there an image encryption standard for image files?

My priority is how well it works into my work flow.

Can anyone recommend an application for securing images if BB Pro doesn't do this?

Thanks!

Gatorboy
October 4th, 2005, 06:44 PM
So other people have access to your computer, or am I missing the problem?

Arn
October 4th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Yes.

I'm in a highly networked environment in the office and I can't always maintain my laptop in a secure environment when I'm in the field; sometimes for several days.

I'd like to work image file security into my workflow and be done with it.

Chris Breeze
October 5th, 2005, 08:22 AM
You can get software which encrypts the data on your disk so that it can only be accessed by apps when you login. This should also protect your files when your computer is connected to a network.
I haven't used this sort of software but it should be transparent to apps like BBPro i.e. once you have logged in the encrypted files will look like normal files.

Arn
October 5th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Even though I like the transparency this approach provides the problems I have with it are:

1: If the intruding application acquires your security permissions then it has access to all your files.

2: This paradigm does not extend to other computers. When files are moved from laptop to desktop, and vice versa, the security protocols may not be maintained.

I prefer an approach where the security paradigm moves with the files. This way your work product can be secured immediately when the images are acquired in the field and is maintained while the images move through post processing.

If BBP were security enabled it could provide the transparency that everyone wants.

For now I guess we muddle through . . .

keff
October 7th, 2005, 10:09 AM
repeated...

keff
October 7th, 2005, 10:09 AM
1: If the intruding application acquires your security permissions then it has access to all your files.

Well is not that the case with any form of security? If you leave your keys lying about, then no system is secure.

2: This paradigm does not extend to other computers. When files are moved from laptop to desktop, and vice versa, the security protocols may not be maintained.

It does extend to other computers. Provided the applications on other computers don't have the key, then the encrypted file remains encrypted.

Steve

Arn
October 7th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Who leaves their keys lying around? You've mis-understood the discussion.

When the OS or an application provides system wide transparent encryption services it manages the keys. Anyone or program that acquires your permissions acquires access to your files.

If you can prevent the OS or application from decrypting the files during the copy then I suppose you could get them to another system still encrypted.

Of course you'll have to have identical software on the destination system in order to use your files. That can be a problem; for example XP Pro has encryption services, but XP Home does not.

I still prefer the solution where the image application manages the encryption/decryption of the image files.

Other than operating systems, like XP Pro, I'm unaware of PC applications that provide system wide encryption services. Can anyone list some for me?

keff
October 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Who leaves their keys lying around? You've mis-understood the discussion.
I don't think so.

When the OS or an application provides system wide transparent encryption services it manages the keys. Anyone or program that acquires your permissions acquires access to your files.

I would seriously doubt this, as it would be next to useless. Any half decent encryption system should enable key management at least at the user level, and I would hope at the application level also.

If you can prevent the OS or application from decrypting the files during the copy then I suppose you could get them to another system still encrypted.

A security system that decrpyted whilst it copied would be a very strange system indeed.

I do think the systems out there are a little bit more sophisticated than you are assuming.

Steve