PDA

View Full Version : Image rotation not working?

forthmedia
October 9th, 2005, 11:56 AM
When I try and rotate images (tiff) in either thumbnail, or main view, nothing happens. At least I get the hourglass icon for a second or so, but the image appears in the same orientation.

Any ideas?

Richard

(BB Pro v1.2.2, XP service pack 2)

Chris Breeze
October 10th, 2005, 09:59 AM
BBPro can only rotate simple TIFFs that consist of a single image. Photoshop CS2 and some raw converters store the thumbnail as a second page in the TIFF and these files can't be rotated by BBPro. Normally this shouldn't be a problem because the TIFF should be correctly oriented already.

PicMan
October 10th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I created a Tiff image with the proofs option from a jpeg, file just to check if this was happening in my copy (v1.2.2), and sure enough It wouldn't rotate

forthmedia
October 11th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Thanks Picman

I'm not sure about the multi page tiffs. All these images are scans using Silverfast/Nikon 9000. I don't think there are embedded thumbnails. When you check the Tools menu in Main View, the "Extract Embedded JPEGS" option is disabled

Chris Breeze
October 11th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Thanks Picman

I'm not sure about the multi page tiffs. All these images are scans using Silverfast/Nikon 9000. I don't think there are embedded thumbnails. When you check the Tools menu in Main View, the "Extract Embedded JPEGS" option is disabled

The "Extract Embedded JPEGs" option is only for extracting preview JPEGs in raw files from Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Fuji cameras. TIFFs may have small thumbnail images as well as the main image data (depending on what software was used to create them) but you can't use the "Extract Embedded JPEGs" tool in BBPro to extract them. BBPro will use the thumbnails to speed up the thumbnail display if they are available. Unfortunately some apps don't write these thumbnails correctly e.g. Capture One v3.5 and earlier writes scrambled or very dark thumbnails in 16-bit TIFFs.

Chris Breeze
October 11th, 2005, 07:31 AM
I created a Tiff image with the proofs option from a jpeg, file just to check if this was happening in my copy (v1.2.2), and sure enough It wouldn't rotate
That's strange because it definitely works on my system. I created an 8-bit TIFF from a 20D JPEG and was able to rotate it without any problems. The only thing I can think of that might cause this is problems with old versions of the graphics library, PolyImagePro.dll, being registered by other apps. I've added extra checks in the next release of BBPro to prevent this sort of problem.