PDA

View Full Version : I promise to search first next time

cbfount
October 18th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Hey Chris,

I'm still thrilled w/BB after all these years!

Is it possible to recursively perform an IPTC data edit using BB?
I'm getting ready to rename my entire image library and would like to begin by imbedding the filename into the IPTC. I need to be able to find (or narrow down the search for) a file based on it's original filename--thus the desire to retain the original filename.

Along that same line, is it possible to recursively rename files?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

areve
October 19th, 2005, 07:39 AM
I guess you could do all that using Downloader pro, setting your current image library as a source. You could then rename everything and edit IPTC data (using the %F token).

Arnaud-

cbfount
October 19th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I'll have to give it a try, but I think, as you've described, that it will rename before it edits the IPTC...thus my original filenames would be lost forever..

Actually, what happened is Downloader Pro placed the code I was using: @fileNoExt@ into the IPTC data and did nothing. When I selected edit IPTC from BB, it still displayed @fileNoExt@ in the renamed file!

Chris, any idea on this one?

areve
October 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I'll have to give it a try, but I think, as you've described, that it will rename before it edits the IPTC...thus my original filenames would be lost forever..

Then you'd have to do it in two steps:
first step to fill in the IPTC data:
-token %F in the IPTC box
-token %o for the filename

Second step, the new name.

The problem is that you'll have to replicate the existing path using DP's tokens. Might be easy, might not be depending on the structure of your image library.

Actually, what happened is Downloader Pro placed the code I was using: @fileNoExt@ into the IPTC data and did nothing. When I selected edit IPTC from BB, it still displayed @fileNoExt@ in the renamed file!
Downloader Pro's IPTC tokens are different from Breezebrowser's. You should have used %F instead of @fileNoExt@.

Chris, wouldn't it be a good idea to use the same tokens in both applications?

cbfount
October 20th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks for clarifying that. Never thought to check to see if they use different tokens.

Doing it in two steps would be fine for me. I'll work out the directory structure to help make it easier. I'm numbering sequentially per event and that my cause problems of it's own.

I'll try to post back in a few weeks when I get through it.