PDA

View Full Version : DL Pro on the Mac?

clayk
October 19th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I know we discuss this a lot. I am a former windows user converting to the MAc. I dearly miss my Breezesys products. I know BB wil not come to the mac, but how about DL Pro. Is that possible or likely?

Photo Mechanic really blows in my opinion and mac users need help.

Clay

Chris Breeze
October 20th, 2005, 06:45 AM
I'm sorry I don't have any plans to port Downloader Pro to the Mac at the moment.

derek
October 21st, 2005, 03:34 PM
hi chris

I, too am considering a change.. could you maybe answer why? too much work..? and how do things look when the Macs go intel?

I'm probably going to get a Powerbook, because nothing out there beats them. and I do not foresee that I will completely convert into mac but "aperture" is really looking hot and if it what its touted to be.. then it'll be only an eventuality till I'm all mac... It would just be nice to be able to use both platforms..

thanks!

derek

Chris Breeze
October 24th, 2005, 09:19 AM
It's purely a business decision. Whatever the relative merits of Windows vs Mac the fact remains there are many more Windows PCs out there than Macs. Porting Downloader Pro to the Mac would take time (which costs money) and would involve an "opportunity cost" (i.e. that time could be spent working on a different project) and I don't think the likely sales of a Mac version would cover these costs.

ifonline
March 26th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Time to revive this thread. I'll buy Downloader Pro for the Mac, even if it was more expensive than the Windows version. There is nothing else out there remotely like Downloader Pro available for the Mac, and now that I have a Mac, I need it.

Reconsider?

Chris Breeze
March 26th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I'm sorry I still don't think it is viable to develop a Mac version of Downloader Pro.

ifonline
March 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM
That's unfortunate.

derek
March 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM
hi chris or anyone else..

I only have a PPC powerbook so I can't yet try out if the new intel macs will work but I've heard there are very little problems with usb drive devices running on parallels or boot camp with XP. I'm planning to get myself a MacPro sometime this year so if anyone has some experience with that - It'd be nice to hear about it!

since chris won't be doing this anytime soon(if ever, please??:o ) would you know(chris) if DLPro has anything that would make it difficult to run in "emulation"..?

thanks for any info

derek

ifonline
March 26th, 2007, 08:04 PM
It should work just fine within Parallels. Wait on Bootcamp, however, as it is actually BETA software that will be finalized and incorporated in the next release of OS X (10.5).

I haven't used either as I no longer want to use Windows (outside of work, that is). As such, I have found another product that works on the Mac and appears to do everything (and more) than I need. I hate it, though, as I really enjoyed using DLP and would be thrilled if it were available on the Mac.

Chris Breeze
March 27th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Downloader Pro runs fine on my Intel MacBook Pro running Parallels. Until recently Parallels only had USB 1.1 emulation which made downloads rather slow but the latest version has USB 2.0 and is much faster. I get a download speed of just over 2Mb/sec which is about 1/3 of the speed I get with the same CF card and card reader on a native Windows system.
You need to have a licensed copy of Parallels and Windows in order to run it and so it isn't a particularly cheap or convenient option.

evergreen25
January 14th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Has anyone tried using downloader pro on a Mac with VMWare Fusion ( http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/ ) ?

I am trying to decide between Parallels and Fusion and saw in Chris' last post on Parallels that there is a pretty significant hit on performance using that virtualization program. I saw some suggestions that Fusion had better USB performance, but haven't found anything conclusive.

Any thoughts/experience to share?

Thanks!

Chris Breeze
January 15th, 2008, 08:24 AM
The latest versions of Parallels support USB 2.0 and so the download speeds will but much better than with older versions of Parallels which only supported USB 1.1.

guru
January 25th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Has anyone tried using downloader pro on a Mac with VMWare Fusion ( http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/ ) ?

I am trying to decide between Parallels and Fusion and saw in Chris' last post on Parallels that there is a pretty significant hit on performance using that virtualization program. I saw some suggestions that Fusion had better USB performance, but haven't found anything conclusive.

Any thoughts/experience to share?

Thanks!

Fusion does support USB 2.0 devices as well.