PDA

View Full Version : %r8?

Nill Toulme
October 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
What value does %r8 return for a camera other than a 1-series?

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Chris Breeze
October 31st, 2005, 12:34 PM
It gives 0 for all other cameras except the 20D, 350D and 5D where it seems to give some sort of counter which only goes from 0 to 255.

BTW You can use %r8 in conjuction with the camera mapping tokens and only use it when downloading images from 1D series cameras.

Nill Toulme
October 31st, 2005, 04:14 PM
Interesting, thanks. I have just changed my long-standing file naming scheme, remain a bit confused, and could use some advice.

I have two 1D Mark II's, one 20D, and two point & shoot's. The scheme I have just switched to has folder names of \My Pictures\%d %J and filenames of %d-%J-%r8. I chose %r8 because I thought it would eliminate the possibility of duplicate filenames between the two 1D's, but perhaps that's unnecessary and I should just use %r instead? It's quite likely that I could end up with more than 255 20D files on a card from time to time.

I'm not preserving the image number anyway, as after culling the shoot I'm renaming the keepers in BB in a form that amounts to the equivalent of %d-%J-001.cr2, 002.cr2 etc.

I think I understand your mapping suggestion to mean to include either %r or %r8, as appropriate, in the camera mapping itself? Didn't realize that was possible, hmmm...

Thanks,

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Nill Toulme
October 31st, 2005, 04:18 PM
p.s. I not infrequently shoot with two or all three bodies, and it could come to pass at some point that their image numbers would happen to overlap at an event such that I would end up with %r trying to put identical filenames in the same destination folder. What happens then?

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Chris Breeze
November 1st, 2005, 11:29 AM
Using the camera name mapping for %r or %r8 is probably the easiest way to do this. You could also use the second camera name mapping token to identify which camera body was used.

Nill Toulme
November 1st, 2005, 04:01 PM
OK, thanks much.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

bonnyr
December 2nd, 2005, 09:27 AM
I'm trying to use the %r8 token to get shutter count as the image number,
and upon insertion of a card into the card reader the value is 0.
Only when I use %T8 which is mapped into %r8 do I get the correct value.
If I then change the directory pattern and include the %r8 token, it's OK for
that download session (for the card presently inserted, that is).

Any idea why dlp behaves like this?

Cheers,

Bonny

Chris Breeze
December 5th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I'll have to look into this but it is probably because DLPro only reads the EXIF shooting data if needs to. This is because reading the shooting data with some cameras connected directly to the PC is very slow. It sounds as though DLPro isn't checking for %r8 when it is deciding whether to read the shooting data.
I will fix this in the next release. In the meantime you can avoid the problem by selecting "Use image capture time for file timestamp" in DLPro's preferences (under the "General" tab).