PDA

View Full Version : Sequence number question

bernard
November 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Hello,

I'm trying the demo version of Downloader Pro. I have few questions about "sequence number" tag (%n).

- The sequence numbering starts at "1" : is it possible to specify another value ?
- When I "download selected" (so, only a few part of the source), the numbering don't starts at "1" for the first selected. So, impossible to do numbering starting at 1 for only selected files. How to do that ?

And, is it possible to move or delete source file after download ? (I see that only with automation, but not when using "manual" mode).

Thanks a lot

Chris Breeze
November 18th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Hello,

I'm trying the demo version of Downloader Pro. I have few questions about "sequence number" tag (%n).

- The sequence numbering starts at "1" : is it possible to specify another value ?
No, it always starts from 1

- When I "download selected" (so, only a few part of the source), the numbering don't starts at "1" for the first selected. So, impossible to do numbering starting at 1 for only selected files. How to do that ?
The images are numbered from 1 in the order in which they are found on the memory card. If it started numbering the selected images from 1 it wouldn't be able to keep track of the filenames and which images have already been downloaded if you chose a different selection.

And, is it possible to move or delete source file after download ? (I see that only with automation, but not when using "manual" mode).
You can delete the downloaded images by pressing the "Delete" button. You can delete selected images by right clicking on the selection and selecting "Delete selected".

bernard
November 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM
>No, it always starts from 1

OK.

So, is it possible to had this feature (i.e. possibility to define the start for numbering) in a future version ?

bernard
November 21st, 2005, 02:02 PM
> The images are numbered from 1 in the order in which
> they are found on the memory card. If it started
> numbering the selected images from 1 it wouldn't be
> able to keep track of the filenames and which images
> have already been downloaded if you chose a different
> selection.

But if I use %N in place of %n, it restart numbering at one. So, I want only a method to do that with a selection and not based on date. What I want is a possibility to do numbering based on subject, or series of pictures, or..., from the same source.
Actually, I can do that, but I'm obliged to manually copy files from card to temporary directory after a selection and before running DLpro.

Chris Breeze
November 22nd, 2005, 07:20 AM
There is a limit to how much Downloader Pro can automate the process. What you could do is use %N, select the first group of images and then download and delete them. The remaining images will then be renumbered from 1 and you can download the next subject - of course you would need to be careful to download them to a different folder or with different filenames otherwise the filenames would clash with the first group. You could do by specifying a new job code (%J) for each subject and include it in the directory or filename.

SunilDVR
December 2nd, 2005, 07:15 PM
Hello,

I'm trying out Downloader Pro at the moment, and it's a fantastic program... aside from one thing which I cannot figure out how to do! I have posted it in this thread as it is a similar topic.

I currently have the download path set to %Y\%B\%D - %J\ and the filename set to %D%b%y-%N4.

This leaves me with images such as:

2005\December\01 - My Job Title\01Dec05-0001.jpg
2005\December\01 - My Job Title\01Dec05-0001.cr2

and so on

This is fine for the most part. The problem comes when I do several jobs on one dayas I end up with (for instance) folders called "01 - My Job Title", and "01 - My Other Job Title", with identically-named images in each one. Then, say I want to create a temporary folder with a variety of shots from both jobs in - I immediately would have duplicate image names.

Whilst adding the time to the image name would solve that problem, I would ideally like to be able to assign every image I download a unique number when I download it. So, as I progress through jobs, any files I download would always have a unique number. In other words, I want the current "%N4" tag to be globally unique - rather than resetting to 1 every time I plug in a new card, it would be a steady counter.

I know that I can use a variety of other tags to take the Canon folder and image-name and use that, but I would much rather not do this. Sometimes, I download images which I don't want to be numbered in a main sequence, whilst if I (for whatever reason) reset the Canon numbering on my 20D, it'll bugger up the whole system. I would much, much rather just have every file I import through Downloader Pro be renumbered into sequence, in the way they currently do, but with a global counter.

Is there a way of achieving what I'm after? If there isn't, would it be possible to incorporate it into the next version (and when would that be due)?

Short of this feature, Downloader Pro meets my needs perfectly, and I would certainly become a registered user if it could solve this problem too!

Thanks in advance,

Sunil

Chris Breeze
December 5th, 2005, 08:57 AM
You could use the "Downloads today" token instead of %N4 e.g. %R%N3

I prefer to use the image number assigned by the camera i.e. %r

If you're using a Canon 1D series camera you could use %r8 which is the number of shots the camera has taken.

jdsp
January 19th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Chris,

GREAT program! Beats all the others hands down!

But we badly need one feature:
To be able to specify a specific number as the starting point of a sequence.
(In other words, for example, to start %n4 at 3248 instead of 0001).

Thanks for the great software that you make.

Josiah