PDA

View Full Version : Physical build of a booth

warwickwater
February 11th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry if this is too far off topic (if so please delete Chris) but has anyone got any experiences / resources / links they care to share regarding building the 'real' wooden / perspex / ally bit - anyone done anything clever re keeping weight down or cool / funky designs? .... or is it a trip to B&Q for MDF followed by Fabric Shop for curtains :-)

Once again, TIA for any info.

dfinkel
February 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM
You can make this as simple or complex as you like. If you need a permanent, hands off installation, you'll need a lot more. My printer and media supplier tells me these go for as much as $15K (ouch).

But if you just need something for events, i.e. easy to setup and break down, you can do a variety of things. I've heard of a company
http://www.openairphotobooth.com/opairph2.html that makes a turn key system (not cheap), but what I am doing is getting a put up tent frame (one designed for a camping shower) and sewing material to make the drapes. I've made a face frame for the camera, monitor and switches from plywood.

Would love to hear is anyone else has ideas for a simple, professional looking booth that is easy to break down and transport.

David

snapshot
February 27th, 2009, 02:03 AM
That's the first time I've ever heard of that open air photo booth thing. There is no way I would pay $5000 for that thing.

It uses the same basic principle as my booth in that it is a set of boxes that separate for transport. Maybe they copied me. I personally think mine looks more professional, but I'm probably biased. Hell, I might be willing to sell my booth for $5000.

warwickwater
February 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
$5000 for the open air booth isnt so bad i guess, once you factor in a cmaera, decent dye sub and a pc (along with monitor, cabling, the actual case etc). To me though it doesnt look like something i'd be happy to wander up and charge $1500 a night for. The snapshop booth looks much more 'professional' - but maybe not 'funky' enough for my liking. There certainly are $10,000 steel booths you can buy, one of which even has a (rubbish) video cam instead of a proper stills cam under breezy control.

I guess the real answer is spend your money, hire a designer, and reflect your quality in the price you charge!

dfinkel
March 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
After I saw the $5K price tag, I didn't look too much further, since I have almost all the hardware and equipment myself, but I *think* the 5K doesn't include the printer.

jay1
March 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
I can sell you the photobooth box if you want to use your own hardware.
www.photoscopes.net
I make then in 2 peices to fit into a suv or mini.

warwickwater
March 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
The carriage might be the killer- I'm in England!

hughmacdiarmid
March 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hello all,

I've also been struggling with the physical look of 'the booth'. It seems pretty simple to knock one up from wood, only problem being transportation. Building the booth in sections seems better for transportation. I've been looking at making it from something like the material they use here

http://www.esedirect.co.uk/pdfs/CS253.pdf

What do you think?

snapshot
March 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hugh,

I have no doubt that you could build a booth using that material. It seems a little expensive to me though. I actually considered something like that initially as well. Eventually I just decided to get some aluminum tube and construct it myself.

If you like the way it looks, it would probably be pretty easy to work with.

OpenAirPhotobooth
March 25th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Open Air Photobooth Clarification

Hello Everyone – Great Discussions…..

I wanted to clear up a few points and be of service if anyone needs anything.

Snapshot – The first time I saw your website was last night after reading through this forum. So, please don’t think that I copied you. I do like the look of your booth though!

In aiding the versatility of my setup, it is Open Air! I have many customers who use it as I mostly do with a type of bench and backdrop, but others who choose enclose it. I am working with a couple companies for a turnkey “booth” add-on.

Dfinkel – The $5000 DOES include the Sony Dye-Sub printer. I offer the printer separately on my site, because some like redundancy.

If you already own the components and are computer savvy – I am willing to ship you an empty case setup.

I am also willing to ship to England (I haven’t yet), but with a product launch just last month to the general public, having booths throughout the US and Canada is a good start.

I will actually be in the UK next week ….

Feel free to contact me.

Nick Andrews
Open Air Photobooth
www.openairphotobooth.com

dfinkel
March 25th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Nick:

Sorry about misquoting the cost - when I read your website it appeared to me as if the printers were extra. Would suggest you try to clarify exactly what is and what is not included in the price.

David

BeachGuy
April 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
If anyone is interested, I just completed the physical build of a two cabinet (one on top of the other) Photobooth.

I make no claims to its viability as a booth to be used everyday; the fact is that this one-off construction fit my needs is all it had to be.

It can be viewed at http://www.jeffcain.com/Photobooth.htm

My final lighting to product very good pictures was to use 4 26 watt daylight fluorescent bulbs. No need for camera flash. I tried using 6 100 watt fluorescent bulbs (not daylight) which gave to much orange/yellow to the pictures. Daylight bulbs were the answer. Also 6 bulbs were way too many for the 3' x 4' sitting area. It looked like a NASA space shuttle lift off in the pictures.

Total cost of construction was $612.43 less the needed equipment such as Canon G5, Canon ip3000 printer, LCD monitor for the live viewer, a used HP computer running XP and cables and one Stealth Switch.

I had all equipment to construct this Photobooth and can only speculate as what it would cost to have someone else do the work for me.

Other than the lighting problem, my only real problem I had was I did not read an earlier post by Chris Breeze where is suggested to put the camera above the live view monitor. I had the monitor above the camera and it was definitely too far above. All the test pictures gave a great view of the test subject’s nasal passage and a medical examination of the back side of their throats. Open wide please.

I moved the monitor as close as possible to the camera within the limitation that I had. I still have to remind everyone to “LOOK AT THE CAMERA”. Maybe I can market this to Ears, Eye and Throat doctors as a medical examination tool.

Hope that you get something from my experience, enjoy.

BeachGuy

Jann Lipka
April 5th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Very nice and good looking construction ,
Hopefully it will be a great success on the wedding party .
Thanks for sharing .

I was also thinking about skipping Flash light and using fluorescent light instead , but skipped the idea because of worries that maybe too much ambient light in the room will destry the mood.

Letus know how it worked during wedding reception !

BeachGuy
April 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Jann, thanks for brining up one more unanswered question I had not thought about.
Providing the weather is good this is wedding reception is taking place outdoors, beachfront on the Gulf of Mexico. So I really don’t have a need for lighting.
However, if Mother Nature does not cooperate, indoors we go. Then I will be in need of lighting. This is why I made the light boxes to go with this booth.

But your new question has me thinking. I will need to go to the reception hall and check out the lighting situation. If they are fluorescents and I’m using fluorescent what kind of problem can I expect. I might be back looking at adding a strobe light set up.

I built this as another form of entertainment and for memories for this wedding, knowing full and well my wife and daughter were never going to let me play as a professional photogpher with it. No where have I seen a Photobooth company say that they were competing with that type of photography (my salvation). We still laugh at 30 - 40 year old photos taken with a Kodak Brownie and the first Polaroid instant picture cameras. Hope this is the same.

Our vacation company advertisement says: “Collect memories not just seashells”.
My new saying to my wife and daughter will be “Collect memories not just son-in-laws”. Works for me!

BeachGuy

f8photostudios
April 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM
We sell booth designs with projection capabilities to slideshows.

You can view our design at www.f8photobooth.com.
Pricing starts at $5000 and up depending on equipment choices.

-Jonathan kaz
f8 photobooth

theclassicphotobooth
April 29th, 2009, 01:20 AM
If you want to buy a real photobooth please contact us at www.theclassicphotobooth.com. we will build your booth equipment and all ($6900.00). A real booth!

Jonny
April 29th, 2009, 07:04 AM
5000.00, 6900.00???

You guys are nuts. Talk about bending someone over.

The equipment alone only costs around 1500 to 2000 to start out with, depending on what a person buys.

So you charge 2 grand for wood boxes, paint and some fabric, crazy, just crazy. A person can buy a few power tools and some lumber and make their own for a lot less. A cheap circular saw only costs 50 bucks and usually it comes with a blade.

I'm planning on doing this and so far my equipment costs will be about 1700 bucks and another 500 to 600 for the booth to start out with.

I understand that not everyone has the ability to build something and would much rather buy it, but charging someone that much for a painted box and some fabric is a huge rip off.

It can look good and still not cost 5k, just do a little be more research first.

I'll post pics when I'm done with mine and give ya all a total cost.

EDIT...

Thinking about it, you can get the local Home Depot to just cut the lumber for you, and I'm sure there are other places that will do the same if you ask. I forgot that Home Depot will do that. There might be a charge for it but they will cut whatever sizes you need. Have them cut it, you haul it home and screw it together. Have a plan first.

snapshot
April 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I agree Johnny. I don't know exactly what it costs to build my booth (i'd have to go add up receipts), but it wasn't close to $5,000 dollars. Aside from the printer, camera, computer, etc. (which can be easily be bought for less then $2500) I probably spent less then $800 on my actual booth. I know I am bias, but I personally think my booth is every bit as good if not better looking then the ones you can find offered for $5,000 and up.

Anyone want to give me $2000, and I'll seriously consider building you a booth shell myself. I'm only slightly joking. :)

Sure Pictures
May 1st, 2009, 02:11 AM
Does anyone here sell their booth plans/design.
I am confident I can build one, and already have all of the equipment needed to outfit it. I'm just lacking in the creative design part of it.
Any help would be appreciated!
Mark

chuckb
May 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM
I have a complete booth design in aluminum. It is solid booth and I can supply you custom side graphics for the booth. I can sell you a complete package or just the items you need.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs023.snc1/3092_73777713794_730733794_1674329_539347_s.jpg

[email protected]
http://www.aaaphoto.com

theclassicphotobooth
May 7th, 2009, 02:44 AM
$5000.00 or $6900.00 yes for a real photobooth..the best deal.. no pipe and drapes here..

Qapla
July 26th, 2009, 12:30 AM
The booth that I use is made from an expandable metal frame. It is covered with drapes that are black on the outside and a pleasing grey on the inside. The "camera wall" is a white drape on the inside with holes positioned so that the camera lens and the laptop screen are visible inside the booth.

The camera and laptop are mounted an aluminum framework that fastens between the legs of the expandable frame.

A brightly painted Stealth Switch lies on the floor.

The printer is positioned on a small folding table at the camera side of the booth. This allows me to not only monitor the pictures as they are printed, but assist with various tasks involved with scrapbooks.

I have done several very expensive receptions (places like Jekyll Island) and have yet to have anyone complain that the booth looks cheap, out-of-place or homemade. In fact, most of the comments are either about how clever the design is or how much fun the booth is.

I guess if the location is permanent or very windy, the "solid wall booth" is an idea. But, for portability and ease of operation I have not had any problems with "pipes and drapes."

Brian Peterson
July 26th, 2009, 01:35 AM
5000.00, 6900.00???
You guys are nuts. Talk about bending someone over.

Jonny, do you own a house? How much did you pay? Do you know that in a $100,000 house there is only about $15,000 to $20,000 in raw materials? Raw materials are only one component of the costs to doing business: Labor is a major one. Taxes are another. And of course everyone wants to make a profit!

No one is bending anyone over anything charging $5000 for a fully constructed photo booth. I too am considering offering them for sale. I have $500 in raw materials and $1300 in the computer, printer, camera, etc. And I have 90 hours of labor into it! $5000 is more than a fair price when offering a turn key solution that all you have to do is plug in! Please learn business before shooting off your mouth.

How would you feel if a customer walked in and said, "a print only cost you 10 cents each and that is all I'm paying!

photoboothco
August 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Jonny, do you own a house? How much did you pay? Do you know that in a $100,000 house there is only about $15,000 to $20,000 in raw materials? Raw materials are only one component of the costs to doing business: Labor is a major one. Taxes are another. And of course everyone wants to make a profit!

No one is bending anyone over anything charging $5000 for a fully constructed photo booth. I too am considering offering them for sale. I have $500 in raw materials and $1300 in the computer, printer, camera, etc. And I have 90 hours of labor into it! $5000 is more than a fair price when offering a turn key solution that all you have to do is plug in! Please learn business before shooting off your mouth.

How would you feel if a customer walked in and said, "a print only cost you 10 cents each and that is all I'm paying!

Heh.. Very well said. I was just about to bring up that same point.

jay1
August 11th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I can sell you the photobooth box if you want to use your own hardware.
Give me a call

http://photoscopes.net/content/retro.html

I make then in 2 peices to fit into a suv or mini.

carroll1
August 17th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hey everyone,

I noticed that designs like the one in the post above (photoscopes.net) are a popular design.

However, my question for all of you is...aren't you worried about the safety of such a design? If someone were to fall over (for a variety of reasons), what happens if they grab the curtain? To me, it seems like they would bring the whole thing down, including all of the electronics.

Looking forward to your responses!

Qapla
August 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Have worked events with drunks using the booth. Since I am always with the booth while it is in use, have not had a problem with anyone tearing it down. However, I can see how it could happen.

There is one word that comes to mind ... INSURANCE!

I know it doesn't prevent damage, but it can protect against legal action and replace broken equipment.

Just a thought ...

Dannygonzales73
September 28th, 2009, 09:14 PM
In my rental agreement I have it stated that we are not responsible for for any damage or injuries due to negligence. We haven't had one person question it yet so far :)

www.dcbooths.com
Dan

PhotoBoothsandMore.com
January 21st, 2011, 03:04 AM
We built a few portable booths from machined aluminum. We're wrapping them with decorative material similar to an autobody wrap. They're durable, portable and professional. We transport ours in a minivan. Our own are equipped with an S5 and an Epson inkjet. The booths we've sold have been well received. They rival "manufactured" booths but are totally portable. I've attached a link to some photos of a personalized booth and a generic booth. We are going to start selling the shells, decorated and ready for components.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mwolfe007/GenericPhotoBoothShellWwwPhotoBoothsAndMoreCom?aut hkey=Gv1sRgCNyxxNapwe7GFg&feat=directlink

Let me know if you are interested. We're building 4 shells right now and they should be complete in a couple of weeks. We plan to sell them for $3,500 each.

alexsiskahn
January 21st, 2011, 03:42 AM
I'd suggest making the printer section large enough to fit a sony 150/200 shinko or kodak dye sub, not too many people like inkjets for reasons alredy discussed.

also u might consider putting the inside computer monitor facing outside to play a slide show. It really doesn't do much good on the inside where no one can see it.

Maybe you could explain how the anti tip device works to? Seems like if a kid grabbed the far end of curtain with a torque arm of 6 feet it would be a safety issue?

PhotoBoothsandMore.com
January 22nd, 2011, 01:30 AM
Thanks for your opinion on the monitor.....but we aren't selling booths.....we are selling shells. The shell will accommodate a variety of monitor setups including on the side for a slideshow. We like it inside for setup and maintenance.

We've been pleased with the Epson printers. They're reliable, inexpensive and the quality is tremendous. Regardless, the shelf height can be modified very easily to accommodate dye subs. We may ultimately put the printer shelf on rails and make it user movable. Good suggestion, thanks!

Anti-tip, scratch resistant, water resistant......euphemisms for within reason. On our shell, the protrusion in front, with a screw adjustment and foot pad makes it quite difficult to tip forward. It's likely that the curtain rods (supported on top by thin wires attached to the topper) would bend before the booth would tip forward. We've done hundreds of events and haven't had any problems.

alexsiskahn
January 22nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Well it would be interesting to test what you say. Perhaps put some weights on the back curtain and measure how much weight it takes to tip your unit over and put that in your specs and have a liability release so people won't sue you for an unsafe product. Something like the PB tower will tip over when more than 40 pounds of force are exerted on back curtain/rod assembly. We recommend no force be put on it for safety reasons. or better yet make a break away curtain like this guy:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Designing-a-DIY-Talking-Twittering-etc-etc-Pho/
There are many other photobooth builds on that web site as well, but all of them either use pvc or plywood.

PhotoBoothsandMore.com
January 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
I've seen several plywood and pvc alternatives. In fact, our first few builds were angle iron with plywood sides. We prefer the machined, solid aluminum. It looks much better and "factory made". It's heavy and stable enough that tipping isn't a problem.

Instead of the NASA-type testing you suggested.....perhaps razor wire on the top would dissuade that kid from trying to tip the booth over:):). Bear traps perhaps?

alexsiskahn
January 22nd, 2011, 05:41 PM
I'd erase your comments ASAP. If your booth ever falls on a kid and the lawyer researches your company and finds your joke about the situation a jury isn't going to think you cared much. try doing a barmitzfah with 7 teenagers treating your booth like a set of monkey bars.

PhotoBoothsandMore.com
January 23rd, 2011, 06:07 AM
Lawyers and jury's understand sarcasm as do most of readers of this forum. Sarcasm...look it up. BTW, it's Bar Mitzvah.

alexsiskahn
January 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
http://johnarner.com/apphysics/week05/lesson05.html

this might help ,
If your booth is 6 feet long and your booth one foot wide
And a kid exerts 40 pounds of weight onto the back curtain you have.
tnet = t1 - t2

0 = F1d1 - F2d2

0 = 40(5x) - M(1x)
0=200x -MX
Mx=200x
M=200 pounds

which means your booth needs to weight 200 pounds or it will tip over.
Of course the exact fulcrum point is going to very depending on how the mass of electronics is distributed in the booth, the ratio might be more like 4.5x to 0.5x, but it will give you a general idea.

This will help you design a booth that is safer. The simplest solution is to make the curtain rod length shorter which reduces the torque.

“Give me a lever long enough, and a prop strong enough, I can single-handed move the world.”

PhotoBoothsandMore.com
January 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM
A solution for anyone who is concerned will be to weld a spring (same diameter as the rod) into each of the two curtain rods that will be firm enough to support the curtain but would bend to the floor without moving the booth base.

Jonny
January 29th, 2011, 01:45 PM
A solution for anyone who is concerned will be to weld a spring (same diameter as the rod) into each of the two curtain rods that will be firm enough to support the curtain but would bend to the floor without moving the booth base.

Soooo, you're saying, spend 3.5k on a booth from you then spend more after the fact to re-engineer the support for the curtain? I wonder, what responsibility does your company have when the product fails. Who gets sued when the user gets squished due to an engineering failure, the photo booth owner of said product or the manufacturer?

I hate to say it but Rolland makes a pretty good point.

Don't get me wrong, I think you make a great looking generic booth but I think you may have overlooked something.

PhotoBoothsandMore.com
February 3rd, 2011, 03:23 AM
WE will weld the spring into the bar for anyone concerned.

miker1267
February 4th, 2011, 05:01 AM
I have an OpenAirPhotoBooth and I use mine almost exclusively enclosed. The booth I built is a pipe and drape system. All of the components including drapes can be had at:

http://onlineeei.com/

The enclosure is very versatile and the size can be easily adapted. It is very wheelchair friendly, etc.

Mike Rose
Rocky Mtn Photo Booth

jpmurph
May 26th, 2011, 05:40 PM
My first booth was constructed over a weekend and actually material costs were less than $50. It kinda looks a look like a large mailbox, but does the job and is highly portable.

I was able to fit a printer, computer, flash, and monitor into a 10x8x20 inch plywood box. I ran the power supplies down a 1.5" piece of metal piping and into a base.

This little guy got me started in the photo booth business and help be to afford an upgrade once, by allowing me to turn a profit after 2 rentals.
http://littlephotobooth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/thumbnail310x150upclose.gif
http://littlephotobooth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/frontfacing.jpg

Chris Boar
July 4th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Here's my diy setup, built from Home Depot MDF! It's got wheels on the bottom back and stategically placed handles for moving it. I can get it across the back seat of my car. Inside are 2 slide out shelves. One for the Sony printer, and the laptop,

http://www.chrisboar.com/dwf/booth.jpg

BeachGuy
March 25th, 2015, 04:29 PM
I just checked back into this forum, I haven't posted since 2009. I can't believe this thread was still getting post up until 2011. You inmates have really added a wealth of information to this Forum. Well done.