• Show Printable Version
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode
    warwickwater
    warwickwater is offlineJunior Member

Default Physical build of a booth

Sorry if this is too far off topic (if so please delete Chris) but has anyone got any experiences / resources / links they care to share regarding building the 'real' wooden / perspex / ally bit - anyone done anything clever re keeping weight down or cool / funky designs? .... or is it a trip to B&Q for MDF followed by Fabric Shop for curtains :-)

Once again, TIA for any info.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

dfinkel
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    dfinkel is offlineJunior Member

Default Depends on what you want to do

You can make this as simple or complex as you like. If you need a permanent, hands off installation, you'll need a lot more. My printer and media supplier tells me these go for as much as $15K (ouch).

But if you just need something for events, i.e. easy to setup and break down, you can do a variety of things. I've heard of a company
    http://www.openairphotobooth.com/opairph2.html that makes a turn key system (not cheap), but what I am doing is getting a put up tent frame (one designed for a camping shower) and sewing material to make the drapes. I've made a face frame for the camera, monitor and switches from plywood.

Would love to hear is anyone else has ideas for a simple, professional looking booth that is easy to break down and transport.

David

snapshot
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • Visit Homepage
    snapshot is offlineSenior Member

That's the first time I've ever heard of that open air photo booth thing. There is no way I would pay $5000 for that thing.

It uses the same basic principle as my booth in that it is a set of boxes that separate for transport. Maybe they copied me. I personally think mine looks more professional, but I'm probably biased. Hell, I might be willing to sell my booth for $5000.
    Snapshot Photo Booth Rentals - Louisville's best photo booth rental company.

http://www.photoboothtalk.com - Discuss everything related to photo booths, from building the booth, to printers, to advertising your business.

warwickwater

$5000 for the open air booth isnt so bad i guess, once you factor in a cmaera, decent dye sub and a pc (along with monitor, cabling, the actual case etc). To me though it doesnt look like something i'd be happy to wander up and charge $1500 a night for. The snapshop booth looks much more 'professional' - but maybe not 'funky' enough for my liking. There certainly are $10,000 steel booths you can buy, one of which even has a (rubbish) video cam instead of a proper stills cam under breezy control.

I guess the real answer is spend your money, hire a designer, and reflect your quality in the price you charge!

dfinkel
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    dfinkel is offlineJunior Member

Default Maybe more

After I saw the $5K price tag, I didn't look too much further, since I have almost all the hardware and equipment myself, but I *think* the 5K doesn't include the printer.

jay1
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    jay1 is offlineJunior Member

Default photobooth box

I can sell you the photobooth box if you want to use your own hardware.
    www.photoscopes.net
    I make then in 2 peices to fit into a suv or mini.

warwickwater

The carriage might be the killer- I'm in England!

hughmacdiarmid
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    hughmacdiarmid is offlineJunior Member

Hello all,

I've also been struggling with the physical look of 'the booth'. It seems pretty simple to knock one up from wood, only problem being transportation. Building the booth in sections seems better for transportation. I've been looking at making it from something like the material they use here

http://www.esedirect.co.uk/pdfs/CS253.pdf

What do you think?

snapshot
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • Visit Homepage
    snapshot is offlineSenior Member

Hugh,

I have no doubt that you could build a booth using that material. It seems a little expensive to me though. I actually considered something like that initially as well. Eventually I just decided to get some aluminum tube and construct it myself.

If you like the way it looks, it would probably be pretty easy to work with.
    Snapshot Photo Booth Rentals - Louisville's best photo booth rental company.

http://www.photoboothtalk.com - Discuss everything related to photo booths, from building the booth, to printers, to advertising your business.

OpenAirPhotobooth
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    OpenAirPhotobooth is offlineJunior Member

Open Air Photobooth Clarification

Open Air Photobooth Clarification

Hello Everyone – Great Discussions…..

I wanted to clear up a few points and be of service if anyone needs anything.

Snapshot – The first time I saw your website was last night after reading through this forum. So, please don’t think that I copied you. I do like the look of your booth though!

In aiding the versatility of my setup, it is Open Air! I have many customers who use it as I mostly do with a type of bench and backdrop, but others who choose enclose it. I am working with a couple companies for a turnkey “booth” add-on.

Dfinkel – The $5000 DOES include the Sony Dye-Sub printer. I offer the printer separately on my site, because some like redundancy.

If you already own the components and are computer savvy – I am willing to ship you an empty case setup.

I am also willing to ship to England (I haven’t yet), but with a product launch just last month to the general public, having booths throughout the US and Canada is a good start.

I will actually be in the UK next week ….

Feel free to contact me.

Nick Andrews
    Open Air Photobooth
    www.openairphotobooth.com