PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Zoom

RRRoger
January 23rd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Glad to see your forum back, Chris

Can you add a magnifying glass or +/- to the toolbar of BreezeBrowser Pro?

I need a very quick way of zooming in on images when sorting thousands of pictures each week.

Thanks, Roger M.

Chris Breeze
January 24th, 2005, 11:46 AM
You can do this using "View actual image" or the image comparison window. I think it would be difficult to add a faster way of doing it in the main view without reducing the speed of normal image display.

RRRoger
January 24th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Chris,
I just upgraded from ACDseev4 & 6 to 7. It was mostly because this feature is not in BreezeBrowser. I can sort Racers by number nearly twice as fast with ACDsee saving me hours each week.

RRRoger
January 26th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Chris,
Yes I can zoom Ctrl-B =Actual view, (F9), (F8), (F6), & (F7).
but, now I cannot advance to next image, copy, or move the image to another folder.
This is being done with other programs very fast. I do not understand why not BreezeBrowser.
With ACDsee I can move or copy from the zoomed image and I do not have to close the page each time either. If copying, I just hit the space bar to go to the next image. When moving, the next image comes up instantly.

BrianC
January 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM
You can do this using "View actual image" or the image comparison window. I think it would be difficult to add a faster way of doing it in the main view without reducing the speed of normal image display.

Chris,

How about combining the features? Normally you can just show your quick "normal view". But if someone tries to zoom in, calculate the actual image and zoom in on it still in the normal view. You could keep that image cached for use of showing the full screen Actual Image too, and toss the cached version when the user switches photos.

Brian

BrianC
January 27th, 2005, 04:38 PM
By the way, what is BB doing that make it take 6 seconds to load a 2 MB actual JPEG image on an Athlon 3200+? IrfanView loads the same image in 0.75 seconds.

Chris Breeze
January 28th, 2005, 07:34 AM
I don't know why it's taking so long on your system. Viewing a directory with a large number of thumbnails will slow things down because there is a background thread to build the thumbnails. On my 3.2GHz system it takes around 1 sec to view a 9.6Mb JPEG from a 1Ds Mark II.

BrianC
January 31st, 2005, 02:08 AM
Chris,

I determined that the slow loading occurs when "Enable default color profile for images with no embedded profile" is checked. 1 second to show in main/filmstrip view, 6 to show actual image. With the option disabled the images load in 1/3 second either way.

Brian

DeanSilver
February 1st, 2005, 01:17 AM
YIKES! Mine's doing it, too.

But on mine (a slow old P4/3.06HT :rolleyes: ), it takes about 7 seconds when "Enable monitor color profile" is selected. Deselecting "enable default color profile for images with no embedded profile" has no effect (it is normally set to sRGB).

When "Enable monitor color profile" is NOT selected, view actual image is very fast. But the image, and main view, are not color managed, and that just won't do! I'm using a profile generated by Optical.

And here's a real twist: it loads some tiffs (of any size from 10- 140MB) in about 3 seconds, about half the time of a
I never noticed it before because I almost always shoot raw, and when viewing raw images it takes awhile to convert them anyway. The other images I most often view in BB, small proofs, load fast.

Any ideas, Chris?? I've GOT to have color management, and prefer TOP SPEED! :D

Gary_Berg
February 1st, 2005, 04:17 PM
On my P4 3.2Ghz notebook has color management set (Optical profile), I have it not color-managing thumbnails. Those are the only boxes checked in the color management section, plus, of course, the name of the profile is filled in.

Speed is nice and fast, perhaps 1/2 to one second (these are JPEGs from an A2, so somewhere from 3-4Mb in size).

I would assume that loading a directory with color-managed thumbnails might be quite slow.

roberte
February 1st, 2005, 08:26 PM
Similar experience here, color management off = lightning speed (1/2 sec) for previews and actual image (ctrl+B). With color management the same JPEGs take 6-8 sec ! This is on an old 2Ghz desktop, on a 3Ghz laptop the speed is three times faster.

Other apps like Photo Mechanic and iView MediaPro display color managed previews instantly. Any chance this has to do with PolyImagePro? I have similar color management experiences with IMatch which also uses the PolyImagePro libraries.

-- Robert.

DeanSilver
February 3rd, 2005, 11:57 AM
It sounds like we may have a widespread, but not universal, problem here.

I'm sure it would be useful for Chris if everyone reading this would take just a couple of minutes to test their own system.

Turn color management on in preferences > image display > enable monitor color profile > (choose any valid monitor profile). Pick any medium size (2MB or larger) tiff or jpeg. From main view, view actual file (ctrl B), and note the time elapsed before the image is rendered. Then simply uncheck [enable monitor profile] and view actual file again. Note the time to render again and if there is a significant difference in the two times you have observed.

Then report your results in this thread. Hopefully it will give Chris some idea of the scope of the problem, if not suggest a cause or cure.

This is important, because color management is critical.

Thanks in advance.

Dean

RRRoger
February 4th, 2005, 03:56 PM
With ACDsee7 the image enlarges so fast that I cannot measure it.
Hitting the spacebar goes to the next enlarged image extremely fast.
Clicking on the + magnifier zooms in equally fast.
Clicking ALT and M moves the image even in the magnified state.
Clicking ALT and C copies equally fast.

With BreezeBrowser Pro everything works equally fast except when it comes to magnifying the image.
I have to click Ctrl B, then F 9, then close the window before moving or copying the image. This take a whole lot longer.