• Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode
    AzSphinxx13
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    AzSphinxx13 is offlineJunior Member

Default Canon DSLR live view & strobe

We're currently using a Canon 40D, and can get the 580EX II flash to work in the photobooth live view mode. But we would rather use our strobe set up. Except when we hook up the strobe either hot shoe or PC attachment, it doesn't go off.

I saw another post saying this could just be a problem with the 40D's live view mode. Is there a way around this with the 40D?

Has anyone used any Canon DSLR's and been able to hook up an external strobe?

We are thinking of getting a different camera just for the photobooth, but don't want to get ourselves into the same situation. Possibly the Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital SLR Camera.

Thanks for any help on this
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

AzSphinxx13
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message

I don't know if I can mark this solved or not, but we figured it out. lol We had to disable the silent mode under live view in the menu, and it worked great.

Chris Breeze is offlineAdministrator

This is a known problem with Canon cameras and non-Canon strobes. With mid to high end models you can fix the problem by disabling silent shooting mode in live view. With low end models like the Rebel series you may have to trigger the strobe using a slave unit and the camera's built-in flash.

VisibleForm
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    VisibleForm is offlineJunior Member

We've hit the same snag (currently trialing DSLR Remote Pro for a booth we've just put together).

We wanted to use our existing Nikon cameras with NK Remote, but live view shutting off after an hour is a showstopper - because when restarted they only run for another 5-10 minutes before shutting off again, and we want to run booths at parties for 2-3 hours of intensive use.

So, reading through the advice (and these forums) we bought a Canon 1000D - only to find the 1000D won't fire via the hotshoe in live view mode ...aaaaargh! Using optical trigger is not a solution for us, as we don't want our flash units triggered by other people's cameras, plus there's the preflash to deal with (1000D onboard flash cannot be set to manual). We did a test run at a friend's party last weekend using optical trigger with Calumet Genesis units set to ignore 1st flash - it worked better than expected, but we still had a couple of failed flashes.

So, my question... given we want Canon DSLR with live view and non-Canon flash - is the 40D the lowest entry point in the Canon line for achieving this?

(We do love the software, by the way!)

Thanks, Rob

carroll1
    carroll1 is offlineMember

Default Canon Rebel XS

Whoa, back the bus up.

Chris, why are you recommending the Canon Rebel XS if this is the case? Is that true?

Seems like not having an off-camera flash is a showstopper, no?

I tried using one last weekend and kept getting AF lock issues...put it in manual mode, but couldn't get a good depth of field....what should i do to tweak that?

You can increase the depth of field by using a smaller aperture e.g. f/8, f/11, f/16 or smaller. A wider angle lens will also give increased depth of field.

The Rebel XS works fine with the on camera flash and with Canon flashes and other E-TTL compatible flashes when live view is active. However, you may have problems triggering other types of flash via the hotshoe when live view is active. One option is to use the camera's built-in flash to trigger the main flash via a slave unit. The flash exposure compensation can be set to -2 to avoid illuminating the subject too much with the on camera flash.

anastassis
    anastassis is offlineMember

Chris, is Canon 50D a camera that will trigger an external strobe under the live view mode? i am aware that the silent shoot mode is available in the camera. Is there a cheaper model that supports an external strobe?

AzSphinxx13
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message

Hi, I haven't had a chance to check back for a while. We mostly use our 40D's for other photography, so we wanted to go a different route and bought a canon rebel XS(what can I say we are canon fans).

Since Rebels don't have a pc sync we bought this on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

So far its working, and we can sync via pc to a strobe from the rebel, however we ran into a wall with getting to to go off during live view.

I'll post if we find out how to fix it, or if anyone else knows can you post. Thank you!

With mid to high end models like the 40D, 50D, 7D, 5D Mark II etc. it should work with live view if you disable silent shooting in the live view settings on the camera.

Unfortunately low end models like the Rebel XS don't allow you to change the live view silent shooting mode and won't fire a non E-TTL flash when live view is active. One option is to use a slave unit and trigger the main strobe using the camera's built-in flash. A slave unit with PC socket like this should work:
    http://www.amazon.com/Seagull-SYK-4-...6566032&sr=1-2

VisibleForm
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    VisibleForm is offlineJunior Member

^^ but surely that adapter will trigger everything from the Canon preflash - which cannot be switched off in the Rebel XS/1000D?

What is needed is an optical trigger that will ignore Canon preflash.

Rob