• Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Linear Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode

Hybrid View

PhotoJames
    PhotoJames is offlineSenior Member

Default Web cam version?

Since web cams are getting better in quality (some have HD like Logitec C510) is there any possibility of an upgrade to PSRemote or DSLR to allow the use of a web cam as the main camera for a photo booth? The web cam mentioned above is only about $60 and takes 8mp stills (per the Leo show).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

inabooth
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    inabooth is offlineMember

8MP image from a webcam? I have seen some expensive webcams and they take great video, but the still images suck. I have yet to see a webcam that can take a high quality image of a moving target and not be blurry.

Chris Breeze is offlineAdministrator

I'm working on a webcam version of the photobooth software and have been testing it with a Microsoft HD Lifecam. The still images are 640x480 pixels in size which is fine photobooth strips but not really suitable for larger reprints. The webcam is capable of 1080 HD video and this allows a certain amount of zooming and panning in the webcam photobooth software. The camera has autofocus and a large depth of field (due to the small imaging sensor) and can produce good results in good lighting conditions. However, the image quality is not as good as a DSLR or PowerShot camera.

stillmation
    stillmation is offlineSenior Member

QuoteOriginally Posted by Chris Breeze View Post
    I'm working on a webcam version of the photobooth software and have been testing it with a Microsoft HD Lifecam. The still images are 640x480 pixels in size which is fine photobooth strips but not really suitable for larger reprints. The webcam is capable of 1080 HD video and this allows a certain amount of zooming and panning in the webcam photobooth software. The camera has autofocus and a large depth of field (due to the small imaging sensor) and can produce good results in good lighting conditions. However, the image quality is not as good as a DSLR or PowerShot camera.

This is encouraging. There are certain applications I'm working on where this sort of quality + compact nature of a webcam will be very welcome.

alexsiskahn
    alexsiskahn is offlineSenior Member

seems like video booth software is growing in popularity, it would be great if the web software allowed video recording.

Default Video booth

The next release of DSLR Remote Pro includes video booth shooting for the Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D, 60D and 7D. I'm hoping to release it next week.

SleeperTech
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    SleeperTech is offlineJunior Member

Any update on the web cam versions availability? Will it at lease be available this year or is this still a way out?

Even a beta pre-release would be helpful. (I would be happy to test for you if you need testers)

It's pretty much ready apart from the help files. I will try to release it before the end of the month but I've been very busy adding support for new cameras in DSLR Remote Pro (Windows and Mac) and NKRemote.

SleeperTech
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    SleeperTech is offlineJunior Member

QuoteOriginally Posted by Chris Breeze View Post
    It's pretty much ready apart from the help files. I will try to release it before the end of the month but I've been very busy adding support for new cameras in DSLR Remote Pro (Windows and Mac) and NKRemote.
    Very much looking forward to this release (BTW i already use your PSremote and DSLRremote, great products) I am ready and willing to beta test it, feel free to email me a download link

alexsiskahn
    alexsiskahn is offlineSenior Member

the only thing nice about a web cam version is that the web cam will be totally automatic, autoexposure, usb powered and not have issues of getting disconnected as much, basically making it idiot proof, but the image quality of most web cameras is horrible, even the High def ones. Better to use a firewire miniDV camera with a better lens and sensor.

+ Reply to Thread