Thread: video booth takes long time to process 33 sec video

• Show Printable Version
    • Email this Page…
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode
    Chris Breeze is offlineAdministrator

The speed at which the camera can send the movie file down the USB connection will almost certainly be the limiting factor. On my test system the 60D downloads movie files at about 15Mb/sec and the 7D at around 11Mb/sec.

Provided the PC is fast enough to cope with this the camera will be the limiting factor and having a faster PC will make no difference. You will need a powerful PC with a decent graphics card to playback HD video though. My Samsung N140 netbook can control the video capture without any problems and playback 640x480 video but it can't handle the higher video resolutions.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

QuoteOriginally Posted by ulyrn View Post
    i did'nt 33 seconds i tried 10 secs it plays back ( set it to auto) after maybe 12-15 seconds then i press X(delete) then it goes back to the ready screen then it freezes and it will not respond to any keys that i pressed except the ESC buttons. same thing happened when I press A(accept). I used AMD athlon II630 quad 4gb ram used also sandisk 133 16gb on a 7d, funny because itried it on vista and xp the same thing happened, almost the same download time with my xp(pentium 4 2.8ghz HP D51s) its the slowest pc i have.
    If it gets as far as playing back the video it means that the video capture and file download have all worked properly. What should happen after accepting or rejecting the video in the playback screen is it goes back to the video_ready.jpg screen with live view. What is happening on your system? Does it work if you disable the playback in the video booth settings dialog?
    I've just tested it with a 7D on my test system and it appears to be working correctly.

alexsiskahn
    alexsiskahn is offlineSenior Member

Default what test system are you usign?

"On my test system the 60D downloads movie files at about 15Mb/sec and the 7D at around 11Mb/sec"

well I would be happy with results like that! My 33 second 640x480 60fps video files are around 90mb so that would means they would download in 6 seconds!

what is the specs of yoru system and what kind of sd card speed are you using?

inabooth
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    inabooth is offlineMember

Is it possible to have the video not save to the pc? If so, you could use an Eye-Fi Pro card to transfer the video with an adhoc connection while the next video is being recorded. It will delete the video on it's own when it needs space. Just trying to brainstorm. It might not work.

ulyrn
    ulyrn is offlineMember

If it gets as far as playing back the video it means that the video capture and file download have all worked properly. What should happen after accepting or rejecting the video in the playback screen is it goes back to the video_ready.jpg screen with live view. What is happening on your system? Does it work if you disable the playback in the video booth settings dialog?
    I've just tested it with a 7D on my test system and it appears to be working
    I dont really know whats happening, the photobooth mode is fine, its just when i switch to video mode it goes crazy, it records the first clip and process the files and it can also playback and the options to delete and accept are functioning, after that it freezes, will not respond to any keys not even switching back to photo mode, i've tried to disable playback, the same problem it freezes.i dont care about upload times coz i only record 10 sec videos anyway.

QuoteOriginally Posted by alexsiskahn View Post
    "On my test system the 60D downloads movie files at about 15Mb/sec and the 7D at around 11Mb/sec"

well I would be happy with results like that! My 33 second 640x480 60fps video files are around 90mb so that would means they would download in 6 seconds!

what is the specs of yoru system and what kind of sd card speed are you using?
    It's a 2.5GHz quad core Q8300 desktop PC running Windows Vista. The CF memory card in the 7D is a Sandisk Extreme III 8GB card rated at 30MB/s. The SD card in the 60D is a Kingston 8GB card - I'm not sure what speed.
    After capturing the clip there is a short pause while the camera finishes writing the clip to the memory card then the live view is cancelled and the download starts. After download there is a short pause before playback while the QuickTime libraries load the file.

With the 7D it takes about 11 secs from the end of video capture to the start of playback for a 33 sec, 640x480, 90Mb clip on my quad core desktop. Using the same settings and camera on my Samsung N140 netbook (1.6GHz Intel Atom processor, 2GB RAM running Windows 7 Starter) it takes just under 14 secs.

QuoteOriginally Posted by ulyrn View Post
    I dont really know whats happening, the photobooth mode is fine, its just when i switch to video mode it goes crazy, it records the first clip and process the files and it can also playback and the options to delete and accept are functioning, after that it freezes, will not respond to any keys not even switching back to photo mode, i've tried to disable playback, the same problem it freezes.i dont care about upload times coz i only record 10 sec videos anyway.
    Could you provide more details please:
    Does it display the video ready screen after leaving the playback screen?
    Does it show live view images?
    What happens if you disable playback in the video booth settings dialog?
    Does it work if you click the mouse on the full screen video booth window and then use the keyboard shortcuts?

alexsiskahn

QuoteOriginally Posted by Chris Breeze View Post
    With the 7D it takes about 11 secs from the end of video capture to the start of playback for a 33 sec, 640x480, 90Mb clip on my quad core desktop. Using the same settings and camera on my Samsung N140 netbook (1.6GHz Intel Atom processor, 2GB RAM running Windows 7 Starter) it takes just under 14 secs.
    Thanks for posting that, Only a 3 second difference between a quad and a atom?! If others would post their results I'd be interested in seeing the results. I may give the extreme III cards a try.

ulyrn
    ulyrn is offlineMember

Unhappy

QuoteOriginally Posted by Chris Breeze View Post
    Could you provide more details please:
    Does it display the video ready screen after leaving the playback screen?
    Does it show live view images?
    What happens if you disable playback in the video booth settings dialog?
    Does it work if you click the mouse on the full screen video booth window and then use the keyboard shortcuts?
    yes it goes back to the video ready screen after leaving the playback screen.
    yes it show live view images.
    If i disble the auto video playback it didsplay the video playback screen and waits for the command (P,A, or X)then it goes back to the video ready screen.
    It works for the full screen video booth but ONLY one SESSION, meaning it will freeze after pressing A or X.

But just right now, i noticed when i tried to reset it going to the main options display screen, i have to press ESC twice, before it goes bact to the main options display screen. THEN i tried to press ESC once , nothing happened but when i press F7 it stars the countdown, same with switching from phto to video mode (full screen) I have to press ESC once before the keys start working or responds.

It seems that i have to press ESC once during full screen mode before the program responds to any keys. THAT if i the dual application (video and photbooth) if i use only photbooth mode i have no problem.

alexsiskahn

"
    But just right now, i noticed when i tried to reset it going to the main options display screen, i have to press ESC twice, before it goes bact to the main options display screen. THEN i tried to press ESC once , nothing happened but when i press F7 it stars the countdown, same with switching from phto to video mode (full screen) I have to press ESC once before the keys start working or responds"

i have the same issue to start a new session i need to pres esc then f7 or video booth to work

+ Reply to Thread