• Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode
    bkiter1
    bkiter1 is offlineMember

Default Lighting setup choices on photo booth

Hi!
    I'm doing a little bit of research lighting and I would like your guidance/tips regarding the lighting setup.

I'm planning to build a portable outdoors unit that could convert to a indoors unit by attaching panels and curtains and top closure.

My current setup consist of a : canon rebel t1i - 19” touchscreen - Hiti P510S - acer laptop.

I need help on the lighting, please if you can see the attached image, I would like to know what kind of setup is recommended?
    Should I use constant lighting or flash?
    I like the effect that flash ring produces, could you recommend me a good flash ring?

I need something that doesn't become hot since the use time would be between 2 to 4 hour session.

I would appreciate your comments.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

PhotoJames
    PhotoJames is offlineSenior Member

Default Let's get some common definitions

After reading your post and looking at your pictures I have some questions. By outdoors booth do you mean a tower style booth that stands alone, ie an open air booth or do you plan on using it outside? My guess is that you are talking about a tower style booth. I looked at your mock ups and the first two have serious issues with the lights being placed too low. The third one would work but for the light to be bright enough you would be blinding the guests.

If you look at the sample picture that you included you will see a ring light in the sunglasses. This is probably a custom built ring light and uses a flash. Look around on the internet, I'm sure I've seen someone who did this and posted how they did it.

I like the ring light look but it is not without it's drawbacks. For a photo booth if you use a ring light or build some kind of a ring light it will put the camera farther away from the monitor (which is where everyone likes to look) so your guests won't be looking into the camera in the pictures. Just something to think about. A much better (and easier) solution is to build a soft-box above the camera and use a combination of daylight CFLs and monolight. That's what I've done in both of my booths.

Good Luck!

bkiter1
    bkiter1 is offlineMember

Hi James, thank you for your reply.

Yes, by outdoors booth I mean the tower style booth and for inside im designing a type of closure that I could attach to it.

If I use a softbox like this one
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...9_5x15_75.html

Inside I would place 2 daylight CFLs and the monolight in the center? If yes, could you recommend me a brand/model for a monolight and CFLs?

Thanks!

PhotoJames
    PhotoJames is offlineSenior Member

I would suggest that you build the softbox into the booth, and by that I mean construct the top of the booth so that it acts as a softbox. As far as modeling light I used the stick flo lights in my first booth and the curly CFLs in my second. For the monolight I bought mine from adorama for $50 - $60. Some people have had issues with them and have opted to put alien bees ($200).

BTW, if you are going to use your booth outside a strobe of some kind is necessary.

alexsiskahn
    alexsiskahn is offlineSenior Member

james is right, make the entire front of the enclosure out of a white piece of plexiglass or lexan,
    plexiglass cracks easy so best not to use it.
    if you cannot find white, get some frosted contact paper and apply to both sides.

your desing of having a gray panel and then cutting out openings for a smallish softbox is more time consuming and gives inferior lighting.

also all 3 of your designs are not what I recommend.

id' recommend what james says, one monolight from adorama for $80 or so.
    If you want help POST a PHOTO of your PROBLEM using a free image host web site like http://imageshack.us/ OR record a video and upload to youtube.com then post link in your post.

bkiter1
    bkiter1 is offlineMember

Thank you guys for the suggestions!

The image below is an idea of the interior

For the lighting will be 2 curly CFLs, any suggestion for the Watts?

For the monolight the AlienBees™ B400 Flash Unit or since I'm on 220v , should I get this?
    http://www.adorama.com/FP620A220.html

For daylight booth tower, what model of strobe is recommended? I will place the strobe between the 2 CFL's?

Thanks again!

Last edited by bkiter1; June 24th, 2012 at 04:04 AM.

alexsiskahn
    alexsiskahn is offlineSenior Member

Default adorama 220v strobe

http://www.adorama.com/FP320220.html
    is what I would recommend
    take out the modeling light, it is a fire hazard.
    your 300WS strobe IS OVERKILL, you only need around 100watt seconds.

the fluorescent bulbs can be 60 or 100w equvalent, doesnt' really matter
    if you used an all in one PC you could put your printer in the same electronics box thus saving you the hassle of plugging and unplugging cords constantly.
    If you want help POST a PHOTO of your PROBLEM using a free image host web site like http://imageshack.us/ OR record a video and upload to youtube.com then post link in your post.

bkiter1
    bkiter1 is offlineMember

Thank you Alex!

Last question because im a little confused, you said to get rid of the CFL and just leave the strobe light? or should I replace the cfls and place an LED light
    as a constant light, something like this? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_One_LED.html

The strobe works as a modeling light and as flash, it I leave the constant light on, can it stand 4 hours working but it will get hot? so I should place a cooling fan?
    Im asking this because most photobooths that I have seen have a constant light.

Thanks!
    Last edited by bkiter1; June 25th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

LorneChesal
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    • Visit Homepage
    LorneChesal is offlineSenior Member

I believe his point was to not use the Quartz modelling light that comes with the strobe he linked to. they run very hot and can be a fire hazard. Replace them with a cooler running CFL. You may have to hunt around for a CFL with a longer "neck" so it will fit in the modelling light socket of your strobe.

No need for a fan or concern about heat this way.

IMO, the downside to buying a less powerful strobe is that they are built less solidly. IMO, stick with your Alien bee and just turn it down to a low power setting. it's built better than some of the cheaper low end strobes.
    ----------------

regards,

Lorne
    GH Photo Booth
    passionate.about.pictures

bkiter1
    bkiter1 is offlineMember

Thank you Lorne, if I get the alienbees there's no need for the 2 CFL that I placed on the sides then right? I can use the model light from the alienbees