• Show Printable Version
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode
    MitchInOmaha
    MitchInOmaha is offlineJunior Member

Default How to make DNP DS40 (DS-40) cut 2x6 photo strips

So I just purchased a new DNP DS-40 printer. This model should have the newer firmware and physical modification that allows it to print two 2x6 photo strips from a single 4x6 print.

The print driver has a "6x4 (x 2)" paper setting but that doesn't seem to make the printer do anything.

Are there some neat tricks to making the printer actually cut the 4x6 in half?

According to Imaging Spectrum, all their DS-40's shipped after August 1, 2012 will have the firmware and mechanical change in place. I just received mine last weekend, so it should be there.

Thanks,
    Mitch

ETA: I did use search before posting and didn't find anything. I hope I've not overlooked the answer!
    Last edited by MitchInOmaha; August 28th, 2012 at 01:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

jayredliner
    jayredliner is offlineMember

Hi Mitch,

I dont have a DNP, but my Mitsubishi had the same issue. I contacted their tech support and they emailed me the driver with detailed instructions, which worked.

MitchInOmaha

Thanks Jay.

Did your old driver appear to have a 2x6 page size (or, more specifically a 4x6 x2 size)?

As additional information, and why I'm posting here, I'm using Hot Folder Prints as the software for printing.

-- Mitch

Chris Breeze is offlineAdministrator

Have you tried contacting the supplier of the printer or DNP for help? If Imaging Spectrum supplied the printer then I'm sure they will be able to help.

I have a DNP DS40 which I purchased a few years ago and would love to be able to print 6x2 cut strips with it but so far I haven't found any information on how to upgrade it. I'm hoping to find out more at Photokina in Cologne next month.

jayredliner
    jayredliner is offlineMember

QuoteOriginally Posted by MitchInOmaha View Post
    Thanks Jay.

Did your old driver appear to have a 2x6 page size (or, more specifically a 4x6 x2 size)?

As additional information, and why I'm posting here, I'm using Hot Folder Prints as the software for printing.

-- Mitch
    No it didn't. After the upgrade it's called 2x6(x2) for mine.

MitchInOmaha

Default Must use Driver v3.2

Okay, so in my eagerness to get things up and running, I went to the DNP website to download the latest and greatest version of the printer driver, before my printer even showed up. Wanted to make sure I was ready, ya know?

Well, turns out that DNP does not publish the latest on their website!

So, I ended up installing an obsolete print driver, expecting that I was using a best practice by getting the latest from the manufacturer. Yeah, that's a little frustrating.

DNP tried to help, but wouldn't send out the driver w/o going through a couple of hoops, which I wasn't able to complete from work.

Imaging Spectrum was a *great* help, and got me the right driver.

Once I got v3.2 installed, the 2" cut option was right there, and it has been working great ever since.

@Chris -- According to Imaging Spectrum, you have to send the printer in, because besides the firmware upgrade (which as I recall is *also not current* on the DNP website; my printer has firmware v1.4), there is also a piece they actually replace on the printer (the faceplate??) that has something to do with 2" cuts falling correctly to prevent jamming. It's something like a $100 upgrade from IS. Thankfully, all of IS' inventory has been upgraded since August 1, and my printer was upgraded. I just had the wrong driver.

-- Mitch

Chris Breeze is offlineAdministrator

Thanks for the info. I'm glad Imaging Spectrum were able to help - they are one of our resellers and it's good to know they are giving good customer service.

The new faceplate could be a problem but upgrading the driver and printer firmware should be a user upgrade (I upgraded the firmware on my printer to get the printer counter and Matte finish options). There doesn't appear to be any information on getting the printer upgraded in the UK yet.