• Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode
    david sivits
    david sivits is offlineJunior Member

Default Problem with camera disconnecting

Hello,

Canon S5, PSRemote, Toshiba L745, Windows 7 (latest update applied as of July 2013)

First, allow me thank Mr. Breeze for his ongoing help. His timely answers to all my emails is much appreciated!

As the post states, I am having constant problems with my camera spontaneously disconnecting from my computer. I have experimented with several s5's (I own 4) and several computers (2 L745 (purchased 2012), 1 Toshiba L305 (purchased 2008), and 1 Toshiba L655 (purchased 2010).

When the camera disconnects, the screen turns black and the appropriate wording appears. There is no popup screen.

Chris believes the USB cord is to blame and I have switched out the cord several times. He also suggested the power source for the camera.

Switching from AC (outlet) to DC (batteries) helped for awhile, but the beast reared his ugly head, again.

My latest theory is a problem withe USB components of the Toshibas. I called Toshiba, spoke with 'tech support' and was recited a sales pitch on buying a new computer. The tech did think USB 3 would help. All my computers are USB 2.0, I believe.

I am also to attempt using a powered USB hub.

I'm curious if anyone is sharing the same problem. I'm hoping we can share notes and lick this troublesome problem.

Last, I am willing to purchase new equipment. If there is a combination that has caused a user ZERO problems, please post that combination! (Canon 60D, DSLR Remote Pro, Dell CPU as an example) or email me.

Thank-you for your time!

David
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Chris Breeze is offlineAdministrator

QuoteOriginally Posted by david sivits View Post
    Switching from AC (outlet) to DC (batteries) helped for awhile, but the beast reared his ugly head, again.
    This suggests that the problem may be power related rather than software related, but it seems strange that it only helped for a while and that the same probem occurs with different cameras.

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem using a Canon PowerShot S5 IS running on batteries on my system. All combinations of cameras (Canon DSLRs, Nikon DSLRs, Canon PowerShots and webcams) and computers (laptops and desktops running versions of Windows from XP through to Windows 8) work reliably when I test them. We have customers using our software for time lapse projects lasting weeks, months or years with Canon DSLRs and Canon PowerShot cameras.

Canon cameras all use USB 2.0 and so I don't think using a USB 3.0 hub is likely to make any difference.

scottishmovies
    scottishmovies is offlineJunior Member

This may not be a solution for this particular problem but I once had a problem with a Mitsibushi printer which would only work when in the same USB port. If the camera and the printer were swapped then it would work for a while then fail - no printer, no camera - very frustrating but solved easily once they were in the port they were installed with.

It might be worth investigating if this would help you?

boothbarmy
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    boothbarmy is offlineJunior Member

Default Same problems

I too had this problem last week in a custom both which is not used too regularly.

Set it up on the Tuesday and checked everything through, all working exactly as it should, was at a three day event but this booth was only hired on the Saturday but set it up again in situ on Thursday and camera kept disconnecting, would connect then randomly disconnect?!?! I tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling it, tried using unpowered USB hub, then a powered USB hub then connecting all the equipment to the laptop directly but to no avail (I uninstalled the software dozens of times trying it with each USB post in desperation).

The laptop I was using hadn't been used for a few months and had done a Microsoft update between Tuesday and Thursday so googled this to see if there are any known problems with USB's disconnecting, found one possible solution which involved deleting a reg key. Did that late Thursday night, tested again Friday and thought bingo!!!! Was running for several hours Friday to test with no problems then Saturday started up for the client and up popped camera disconnected again!!!!

Camera disconnected 4 times in 5 minutes and ended up ripping it all out and switching to webcam version with a HD webcam from my spares box which was not ideal but my only quick fix, client was happy so I get paid (and well worth the money I spent purchasing webcam version as a backup).

I had another booth out Saturday night so I tested the camera and the leads in this booth and it ran all night without a hitch.

I am running a modern Fujitsu laptop with 6gb memory, canon 550d, external touchscreen and a Mitsubishi CPD70DW. DSLR pro is the latest version.

Am still not convinced that it isn't an issue with the update or it causing a conflict with the software, have never had a problem with the set up previously.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Stuart