Thread: Connecting to a 6D via wifi on MBP - Yosemite.

• Show Printable Version
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode

Default Connecting to a 6D via wifi on MBP - Yosemite.

I am having a heck of a time connecting my Canon 6D via wifi to my MBP running Yosemite. I just upgraded/purchased and downloaded the latest software version.

I can connect via wifi to EOS Utility 3...but when I close the app it shuts down the wifi connection.. and trying to connect via DSLR Remote Pro doesn't work. I have the EOS Utility Launcher set to NOT auto-load EOS Utility...but it still does as soon as the 6D wifi's connects to the MBP. I've looked at 'Image Capture' to see if it's auto running anything and it doesn't appear to be.

Renaming 'EOS Utility.app' kept it from autoloading...but I'm still not able to connect the 6D to DSLR Remote Pro.

I'm stumped.
    Last edited by BehindtheVelvetCurtain; January 2nd, 2015 at 07:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Chris Breeze is offlineAdministrator

I'm sorry I can't get the Wifi connection to work on the Mac either. On Windows you can establish the connection between the camera and PC by running Canon's WFT Pairing Utility and then run DSLR Remote Pro to connect to the camera just like a normal wired USB connecton (with the exception that movie mode is disabled).

Chris...I've had 6D wifi working in your Windows version for years and have used the Mac version version via usb a few years ago with a 5D. I just upgraded to v1.8.3 on my Mac expecting 6D wifi to be supported. I'm shooting real estate interiors and won't be able to haul around my MBP so connecting via USB won't work.

Is 6D wifi something that will be supported in the near future or should I search for other options?

Thanks.

I think the problem is that Canon have made WFT Pairing Utility part of EOS Utility on the Mac and this is preventing other applications from connecting to the camera via WiFi. If you run the latest version of WFT Pairing Utility on the Mac it doesn't show the camera as available but does appear to detect the camera and launch EOS Utility which can connect. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any way for other applications to connect to the camera via wifi on the Mac. I'm not sure whether this is because there is a problem with the Canon camera control libraries on the Mac or whether WFT Pairing Utility and EOS Utility have been combined in such a way that other apps can't connect to the camera via wifi.

I was thinking something along those lines, Chris.

I'm actually able to get the 6D to connect to my Mac via wifi without EOS Utility connecting/starting up. And, using the Mac's 'Image Capture' app I'm able to view the images on the camera's SD card...but your program still isn't recognizing the 6D via wifi.

Is it Canon or Apple that's messing with the wifi connection to the 6D?

It'd be great to get this figured out (if possible).

Thanks.

I think it must be a problem with the libraries in the Canon SDK for the Mac. I've spent many hours trying to get the 6D, 70D and 1D-X to connect on a Mac but it just doesn't work. All three cameras connect without any problems on Windows.