Thread: Where is Printer Setup information kept or used?

• Show Printable Version
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode
    puhl
    puhl is offlineJunior Member

Default Where is Printer Setup information kept or used?

I did run into some issue because when I tested the DSLR Remote Pro application, my DS-620 printer was hooked up and configured on a different USB port than now in my production environment which needs to use a USB Hub. In Windows 10 that resulted in a printer name "DS-620" and "DS-620 (copy1)". All my print profiles should be using "DS-620 (copy1)" because this is when I configured and tested them (when the printer was already on the USB Hub).
    What I noticed: after exiting Photobooth mode and then selecting "Reprint selected photos" from the UI, nothing got printed -- reason for this was because in the Printer Setup in the UI, printer "DS-620" was active - but the printer currently being active is "DS-620 (copy1)". After I selected that printer name in the UI of the app, photos got printed as desired. My conclusion was: Printer name must always be the same -- while creating the print layouts in the PB mode and for reprinting. Can you confirm this to be true?

What annoyed me, is then the following: I changed the Printer name in the Printer Setup dialog of the application to "DS-620 (copy1)", took more pictures in PB mode, exited PB mode, went to "Reprint Selected Photos" again and it now had "DS-620" again. The application did not keep my selected printer name as default.

So - please clarify for me how and when printer names and configs are used. Is there a default printer on the application level, and/or PB profile level, and/or Print Layout level? Where does DSLR Remote Pro store printer information - in an XML file, internally in the app, in the Windows registry?

My confusion even got bigger after I reconnected the printer to the USB port used during product evaluation and then deleted that printer from the Windows configuration. (On Windows 10 I was not able to see the "DS-620" printer name under "Printers and Devices" when it was not connected...). So the printer "DS-620" was gone from Windows. But DSLR Remote Pro still wanted to use that printer and issued an error message which I forgot to note down. I then added that printer name back again....

Thanks for your any help!
    Peter
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Chris Breeze is offlineAdministrator

The software uses the printer's name to select which printer to use. Unfortunately when you connect a printer to a different USB port Windows thinks it is a new printer and will assign it a different name. There isn't really much I can do about this.
    There are times when it is an advantage e.g. you might want to use two printers of the same model loaded with different media and use different layouts for each. In this case you do need each printer to be assigned a different name and you want that name to remain the same each time the printer is connected to the same USB port.

puhl
    puhl is offlineJunior Member

Chris, thanks for your reply. I understand the behaviour on the Windows side. However, I do not understand the behaviour I observed on the DSLR Remote application side. Where do I need to change & save the chosen printer name and printer setting? Once in the UI of the application, with each PB profile, with each print layout?
    And why does the DSLR Remote application not keep the name after I changed it in the UI and it seems to attempt a (on Windows level non-existent) Printer name?

Thanks
    Peter

Chris Breeze is offlineAdministrator

DSLR Remote Pro stores the current printer settings in the Windows registry when it exits and loads these settings the next time it is run. If you use profiles to load different settings you have the option when saving the settings to file to include the printer settings. This is useful if you want to offer users different print layouts which require different printer settings e.g. 2x6 strips or 4x6.
    When you use profiles to load a settings file which contains the printer settings it will use these settings when printing. It won't be able to print if the printer has changed name or a different model of printer is connected.