• Show Printable Version
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode
    puhl
    puhl is offlineJunior Member

Default overlay.png creation with Photoshop

I want to use print overlays in a few of my photo booth layouts. Therefore I am investigating.... and reading chapter 9.14 of the manual and several forum threads.

Chapter 9.14 states that PNG images for overlays should be saved as 24-bit color images with an 8-bit alpha channel used for the transparency information.

Several questions:
    1. How is this accomplished with Photoshop CC? -- Just by saving the PSD object as PNG file? Do other options need to be selected as well. My PSD object has RGB and 8 bit, a layer mask with transparency information, and that layer mask is also an alpha channel.
    2. How can I check if a PNG file follows the above spec?
    3. Is there any pro/con whether dropshadows for the photos on the printout are generated by adding them to the background.jpg or creating an overlay.png for them?

Thanks
    Peter
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Chris Breeze is offlineAdministrator

Saving a PSD file as a PNG file should work provided it is a 24 bit image (i.e. contains color).

It's probably simpler to use a background.jpg image for drop shadows. OTOH using a semi-transparent shadow in a PNG overlay might be easier to reuse in other layouts because it could be added to any background.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote